Dual Boot Win 10 & LM 19 - LM19 No Longer Completes Booting Up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArchiMark

Dual Boot Win 10 & LM 19 - LM19 No Longer Completes Booting Up

Post by ArchiMark »

Hope someone can please advise.

Have a tiny One-Netbook One Mix Yoga laptop. It came with Win 10.

Installed LM19 Cinnamon as dual boot with Win 10.

Was working OK for a while. However, now when I boot LM19, it doesn't complete booting up to desktop.

I see the Linux Mint green logo and the little green dots on screen. Then after a bit, the screen goes black. Have waited minutes and still stays black.

When I press on and hold power button to shut down, after a bit, I see the LM logo and green dots again briefly and then it shuts off.

Any way to get LM19 to complete boot or do I have to reinstall LM19 again?

Thanks for any help.

Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Dual Boot Win 10 & LM 19 - LM19 No Longer Completes Booting Up

Post by michael louwe »

ArchiMark wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 am Installed LM19 Cinnamon as dual boot with Win 10.

Was working OK for a while. However, now when I boot LM19, it doesn't complete booting up to desktop.
Does Win 10 still boot.?

For a dual-boot system, it is quite normal for a forced Win 10 auto-upgrade to bork the Linux Grub bootloader because the last OS installed(= inplace upgrade) will take over bootloading but Windows can not read Linux files. To recover Grub-efi by manually reinstalling it ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6

So, best to keep both Win 10 and Linux and their own bootloaders on separate drives or computers.
ArchiMark

Re: Dual Boot Win 10 & LM 19 - LM19 No Longer Completes Booting Up

Post by ArchiMark »

Thank you for your help!

Yes, Win 10 still boots.

I can scroll down and select it in Grub and then boot to it OK.

Recently, Win 10 did install a major upgrade. So, perhaps you're right that the upgrade did something to the bootloader.
However, as mentioned, I still see Grub at boot and can select Win 10 and boot it up OK. Just LM 19 that is having problems now.

Will check out the link you provide.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”