Booting problems after kernel update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Booting problems after kernel update

Post by Mazda81 »

I have LM18.3 xfce running on an old machine and after updating the kernel to version 4.15.0.39 this machine failed to boot. I either got a black screen or an error message (kernel panic - not syncing - no working init found). I managed to restore the previous kernel and the machine booted normally, however, when I tried to remove the new kernel I got the following error message.

Code: Select all

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 18015 package 'libbluetooth3:amd64':
 missing version
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 18015 package 'libbluetooth3:amd64':
 missing version
In the end I decided to restore to a previous state [prior to the kernel update] using Timeshift. The machine is running normally now although I'm still being offered the latest kernel update (I can turn this option off in Update Manager).
Anyone have any ideas regarding these errors & what are the implications of not using the latest kernel?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Booting problems after kernel update

Post by gm10 »

That error message speaks of a corruption in the package database regarding the entry for the package libbluetooth3. Maybe you updated both the kernel and that package at the same time and something went wrong with that and that's why the kernel failed? I cannot say but it's a possibility. I'd try just the kernel update again just to see what happens. You can always roll it back again if you have to.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks gm10,
I have updated the kernel to version 4.15.0.39 again and, with fingers firmly crossed. restarted the machine. This time it boots without problems.
I have had corrupt package issues with this machine before but it has been very good lately.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hmm, could point to a hardware issue if you get file corruption (or if it's always with a specific package it's possible there's corrupt data in the package's control file). Either way, best to keep an eye on it, even if it looks to have been an easy one this time.

Return to “Installation & Boot”