[SOLVED] Install to Win7, "No root file system is defined"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elipsett

[SOLVED] Install to Win7, "No root file system is defined"

Post by elipsett »

I want to install the latest Mint Cinnamon into a Win7 laptop.
The Mint ISO is on a USB thumbdrive, and the system boots from it, loading the Mint desktop, which I am using now
When I click on Install Linux Mint, it gives me a choice of Erase disk and install, a few other things, and Something else.
I want to install Mint in parallel with WIn7, as a dual boot system, so select Something else.

My current internal HDD has several partitions
dev/sda
sda1 Win7 loader 100MB
sda2 NTFS Windows system files 210GB total, about 75GB free
sda3 NTFS My documents etc, currently used by windows 165GB, about 100GB free
Newly created partition, 100GB, currently marked UNUSABLE
sda4 NTFS something else 24GB total, 0GB free
sdb FAT32 something else 17GB, 0GB free

I would like to install into the new partition, or if that isnt possible, add that volume to an existing volume and install there.

The information displayed on my screen is woefully incomplete, and install instructions offer no help.
No matter what I attempt, it appears to be impossible to format the new partition to anything.
The checkbox cannot be selected for any partition.
No matter which partition I highlight and no matter what I select for Device for boot loader installation, an error message says "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

As you can tell I am a newbie at Linux, although I have been using Windows and Mac for decades.

Is there detailed information on how to install Mint as a dual-boot somewhere?
Or is there someone here who is willing to help a total newbie who can understand instructions to get it working?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Install to Win7, "No root file system is defined"

Post by kc1di »

Hello elipsett and welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

You should be able to do a dual boot without too much problem. Here is a page that should be of help. https://www.fosslinux.com/272/how-to-in ... ndows.htm/ Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

Thank you, that page is certainly an improvement.

If I double-click on any NTFS partition I can increase or decrease the partition size, but double-clicking the UNUSABLE partition does nothing.
That partition was created using the Win7 disk management utility.
Any suggestions?
Apologies for any typos... the keyboard is not set correctly yet.

You can see that the Change button is grayed out here...
screenshot.png
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

elipsett wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:06 am but double-clicking the UNUSABLE partition does nothing.
That's likely because a Legacy BIOS Win 7 install with an MBR/ms-dos disk is limited to 4 Primary partitions = you need to delete one of the data partitions, eg delete the 24GB ntfs partition after saving the data. The deletion can be done by the Windows Disk Management Tool or by running the Live GParted program from the Live LM USB.

If so, you will end up with a newly-created free-space of 124GB as the 4th Primary partition after deletion of the 24GB data partition. You can then run the LM Installer and should be able to choose the easier automatic "Install LM alongside Windows" method. This should give you the option to use up all the 124GB of free-space by moving a Slider on the colorful Partition Table.

If the manual "Something else" install method is used, ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

I was unaware of the 4 primary partition limitation... let me go have a look.
thanks!
elipsett

Post by elipsett »

Yup, that was the problem.
Installed and working.

Thank you!

PS: If other people have asked the same thing before, perhaps this information should be added to the installation instructions.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Install to Win7, "No root file system is defined"

Post by Moem »

It's always a fine balance between keeping instructions so short that they do not cover all possible scenarios BUT are short enough not to scare people off, and making them longer by listing everything that can happen and how to solve it, BUT no one ever reads all of it.

In any case, I've marked your topic as solved, and now the information is easier to find for others! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Re: [SOLVED] Install to Win7, "No root file system is defined"

Post by michael louwe »

elipsett wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:19 am PS: If other people have asked the same thing before, perhaps this information should be added to the installation instructions.
In a dual-boot system, because Windows cannot read Linux files, Linux should be installed after Windows since the last OS installed takes over bootloading, ie the Linux Grub bootloader can boot both Linux or Windows but Windows Boot Manager can only boot Windows.

Fyi, all new OEM Win 8.x/10 computers from 2012 onwards come with new UEFI technology, replacing Legacy BIOS technology. UEFI requires GPT disks, 64 bit OS and the Secure Boot feature which can be disabled. GPT disks are practically unlimited. But installing Linux or LM in UEFI mode can be quite difficult, compared to installing in Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos-disk mode.(eg viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (Tutorial for dual-booting UEFI computers)) UEFI computers have a setting in System BIOS to allow Legacy BIOS or CSM(Compatibility Support Module) to be enabled.

In a dual-boot system of Win 10 and LM, beware that forced Win 10 auto-upgrades(which comes every 6 months for Win 10 Home) will bork the Linux bootloader, whether in UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode = LM can no longer boot, ie only Win 10 will boot. Hence, it is wise to keep both OS on separate drives/disks or separate computers with their own bootloaders.

Also, in a dual-boot system, both OS should be installed in the same mode, either both in Legacy BIOS mode or both in UEFI mode.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first - 10 things to do first in Linux Mint
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=245700 (Getting Started for Newbies)

Return to “Installation & Boot”