Level 2

Dual boot mint 19 and win10 on SSD and HDD help needed

Post by barth90 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I have a desktop PC with the following specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 8G
SSD: 250G
HDD: 2T
Windows 10 is already installed but nothing else has been done yet. Bios shows Legacy mode.
Ultimately I want Mint 19 and Win10 installed on the SSD
/home on the HDD and my data also on HDD.

The attachments below show Gparted for the 2 drives.

Any help to start me on the right path will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Attachments
SDB.png
SDA.png

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dual boot mint 19 and win10 on SSD and HDD help needed

Post by AndyMH » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 pm

First off you are going to have to shrink the partition you have on the SSD. Windows has taken all of it, presumably as drive C:. You can shrink it either with gparted or from within windows. I would say allow 30G for root. Win is such a hog that I'd recommend not less than 50G for C:. Accepted wisdom seems to be that it is best to leave a few G unallocated on SSDs, so make some allowance for that.

If you try and shrink in windows it might not shrink as much as you want - potential culprits pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys (until I switched it off it was +6GB). Pagefile is virtual memory, hiberfil.sys is hibernation - I think win tends to stick these at the end of a partition. Can't remember the details on how to switch these off, but easy to find on the web. Also in win make sure secure (or is it fast?) boot is switched off. Note - once up and running you can turn virtual memory back on and it will re-instate pagefile.sys.

On your HDD, I'd think about sharing data between win and mint, so one partition for /home (format as ext4) and another for what in win would probably be D: and can be mounted in mint as anything you like (formatted as NTFS). On my dual boot desktop I mounted win D: as /home/me/data*. Another consideration would be backup - do you want somewhere to backup win and mint /. Maybe create another ext4 partition for this (advantage - much faster backup over a SATA3 interface than USB). Sizes of partitions on the HDD - your choice. Yet another thought - in mint mount win C: as something like /home/me/win*. This way you can have a backup regime in mint backing up both win and mint (I'm thinking timeshift and backintime - both of which can be installed via the software manager in mint).

Unlikely that you are going to have more than four partitions in the HDD so I'd stick with legacy and create them all as primary partitions. When you install mint go for the 'something else' option and tell mint exactly where you want / and /home to go.

* You add entries to the fstab file for this. It lives in /etc. Plenty of guidance on the forum or the web on editing fstab
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you for your input. I will try that. On my previous system I had indeed a partition that was shared between Win and Mint and formatted in NTFS. I will put it on the SSD drive. Also my understanding is that Timeshift will backup to /home. So if I put /home on the SSD then my backup will be on a different drive. What about swap? I read that Mint 19 treat swap differently than the earlier releases. Does that mean that I don't need a swap partition?

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:50 am

Timeshift will backup to any partition as long as it is ext4, so yes, it will backup to /home if it is on another drive/partition. On my desktop I've got a 240G SSD with win10, root and home on it and a separate 2TB HDD which has an NTFS partition for win D: and also mounted in LM so the two can share data easily (only one way, LM can see win, not the other way around - if you want bidirectional seach the web for ext2fs and install in win - I don't use it) . Also got a large backup partition on the HDD. This is used by timeshift to backup root and backintime for home and win.

Swap partitions - yes I think you are right, LM19 swaps to file, but will use a swap partition if present. I was upgrading from an earlier version so kept my swap partition (and I wasn't short of space). Having said that, I don't think it ever gets used and next time around I wouldn't bother.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 am

do have a read of this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.

do post back, any further questions that you may have.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

barth90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barth90 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Thank you Pierre I will follow your instructions. May be a while before I get back with a feedback Pretty hectic week in the forecast at work

Return to “Installation & Boot”