Boot problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Boot problems

Post by dquinn618 »

I have a HP laptop I had dual booted with Mint Cinnamon and Win 10. But wanting to update the Cinnamon on it I somehow downloaded a KDE version and overwrote Wn 10. No idea how I screwed up so bad. But that's okay, I hate Winduhs anyway. But then none of the three version 19 Mints would load. An error when loading said it couldn't find UEFI list db but then it continues on. A post on here had that same problem and was fixed by disabling TPM in the BIOS. So I did that. Didn't work for me though. Then somehow I deleted GRUB too. Thought I was toast. But then an older Mint KDE version did load, but wouldn't install. So I downloaded a GRUB using the terminal. It worked! I was able to install that older Mint KDE. But now no Mint 19 versions will even load. They start fine but I get that same error about "can't find UEFI list db", then after the mint icon on the screen disappears and right after the login disappears it just goes into a loop. All 3 Mint 19 versions do that. I've tried Legacy in the boot area in BIOS on, and tried off. TPM is disabled. And have tried shutting off as many "security" things I can. Nothing works. Suggestions? Please keep in mind I'm not a computer guy, I just like Linux.

I am curious why the KDE version was not continued in Mint 19? Now just Cinnamon, Mate, and Xefc? I prefer Cinnamon or Mate anyway. Just curious.

I am currently using an older Acer laptop. That busted laptop is a decent little machine with 8GiB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive. Too bad it's a HP bloated so bad I broke it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Boot problems

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:34 pm But wanting to update the Cinnamon on it I somehow downloaded a KDE version and overwrote Wn 10. No idea how I screwed up so bad. But that's okay, I hate Winduhs anyway. But then none of the three version 19 Mints would load. An error when loading said it couldn't find UEFI list db but then it continues on.
The Win 10 partition also contains the EFI System Partition which stores all the bootloaders. Without this partition, nothing will boot. You need to manually recreate this EFI System or Boot Partition at the beginning of the disk/drive = fat32/550MB in size/mount-point as boot/efi by using the manual "Something else" install method. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is this partition. Then do a sudo update-grub.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

What terminal commands will do that from KDE or how do I do that in KDE 18,2? I cannot figure out how to install a Mate 19 disk from KDE (the only os that will load) so I can do that "Something else" during installation? I cannot start a DVD.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm What terminal commands will do that from KDE or how do I do that in KDE 18,2? I cannot figure out how to install a Mate 19 disk from KDE (the only os that will load) so I can do that "Something else" during installation? I cannot start a DVD.
Try reinstalling LM 18 KDE over the previous LM 18 KDE by deleting it and this time, during the install process, manually create an EFI System Partition plus the other usual root or / and swap and home partitions. Hopefully LM 18 KDE will boot. ...
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)[use as a guide for UEFI mode install but all the LM partitions should be Primary partitions instead of Logical]
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

Then do a sudo update-grub. If this does not work to boot the other LM 19 system, you may need to reinstall them also.

P S - In a UEFI multi-boot system, all the bootloaders are installed on the EFI System Partition, with the last OS installed taking over bootloading. ...
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6 - Bootloader Grub for computers with Windows 8.x or 10 (EFI and UEFI): how to re-install it
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I was never able to get any other Mint to load. I spent hours trying. I followed those tutorials the the letter. And tried also to use GPart. No luck. I tried to update the KDE from 18.2 to 18.3 using the update manager but it got caught in a loop like the other Mint versions.

I had to get away from it and regroup and haven't been back at that problem for a week or so. The main problem with the tutorial http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/ is that it says choose the "something different " to create the partition. But any version, except KDE 18.2, won't go that far. They just start looping after the green mint logo then the login screen.

It seems we are trying to get a bootloader on the initial partition. Correct? Will the computer just put one on that EFI partition I create? Or is that what the EFI partition is, a bootloader? Hopefully the computer will recognise it is the last one it has once I do get it. Correct? ...Dumb questions?

Also, anytime I have really thought it was toast, I could still load the KDE 18.2 disk and it works. Nothing else does. Why might that be?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 pm Also, anytime I have really thought it was toast, I could still load the KDE 18.2 disk and it works. Nothing else does. Why might that be?
Sorry, I was a bit confused about your 1st post. Confirm you can install and run LM 18.2 KDE on the HP laptop.?

If you are installing only 1 OS in UEFI mode, then you should use the simpler automatic "Erase disk and install LM" method. If installing LM alongside Win 10, please refer to ...
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (Tutorial for dual-booting UEFI computers)
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17 - if Win 8.x/10 could not boot, <sudo update-grub>)

The problem with booting Live LM 19 DVD/USB on the HP laptop could be due to ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=280597
https://laundryisrandom.wordpress.com/2 ... ndows-8-1/
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2359510
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Question before I give it another go: If I create an EFI partition using GPart with KDE 18.2 loaded, might the computer keep that and recognise it when trying to load the newer Mint versions?

Again, KDE 18.2 is the only Mint version that loads. I think my copy of Win 10 on the computer's hard disk is unrecoverable. I think I have already overwritten it, possibly many times, while trying to recover any working OS. While it might be nice to have I think the proprietary nature of Microsoft is very apt to create further dual boot headaches. They are criminals. And especially on the HP computers there would be dual boot problems that only appear, like mine did, after a certain number of boots or something.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am Question before I give it another go: If I create an EFI partition using GPart with KDE 18.2 loaded, might the computer keep that and recognise it when trying to load the newer Mint versions?
Since LM 18.2 KDE is already running fine on the HP laptop in UEFI mode, don't add the EFI Boot Partition or change anything. I thought you were still dual-booting with Win 10.

As to why LM 19 does not boot on the HP laptop but LM 18.2 KDE does, maybe try this ........ when booting the Live LM 19 USB, unplug the USB-stick when the LM splash screen with the 5 Progress dots appears. Wait a few seconds and replug the USB-stick.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I have LM on a Live DVD. I don't like using a boot stick, as LM takes it over entirely and even renames the stick. Necessitating use of USB formatter to use again for anything else. So...just take out the DVD at the splash screen with 5 dots and wait a few minutes?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 am So...just take out the DVD at the splash screen with 5 dots and wait a few minutes?
Yes, wait a few seconds.
About Live LM DVD, you should use DVD+R and burn it at a speed of not more than 4X (I use 2X ). Care and proper handling of the Live DVD disc is also important to prevent disc warp or scratches, eg to dislodge the disc from the DVD-tray or DVD-box, lift it from one side at angle with a finger or finger-nail or plastic screw-driver-like tool.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

Thanks. I use DVD+ and have downloaded numerous copies. None work. Not DVD fault. Pressing through the DVD centre hole and lifting by edges is MY method. And I try to handle just by the edges only. I am aware of the flimsy nature of DVDs,
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I have been using DVD- . My DVR requires that kind. I thought I was using DVD+. I will be trying that stopping method. If that doesn't work, I'll get a DVD+ disk or erase a thumb drive I have and try that. Are the BIOS settings the same for booting by DVD versus booting by USB stick? Does using the RW or R kind of disk make any difference?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

dquinn618 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:33 pm Are the BIOS settings the same for booting by DVD versus booting by USB stick? Does using the RW or R kind of disk make any difference?
If System BIOS is set to UEFI, the install of LM will be in UEFI/GPT, viz-a-viz for Legacy BIOS. Ensure that the Live LM DVD/USB is also booted in UEFI mode in the Boot menu of System BIOS, ie if set to UEFI mode install.

Booting the Live LM media is the same for both DVD and USB, except for setting the 1st boot device in the Boot menu of System BIOS. DVD-RW or +RW should not be used for the Live LM. The Imgburn program for Windows seem to prefer DVD+R discs, ie DVD-R discs likely will not work. Not sure about other ISO to DVD burning programs.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I am using a thumb drive now to install and following exactly all install instructions. I did get Mint Cinnamon 19 to load but when installing the error message displayed, "you have 0 disk space". How do I fix that?
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

I went back and reloaded and installed the KDE 18.2 after the Mint Cinnamon wouldn't install. (low disk space error message). Cinnamon will load but not install. This time installing the KDE I manually made a new separate partition hoping Cinnamon would find and use that. It did not. What specifically might I change on the partition to get Cinnamon to install on it?

Can I do these changes using GParted? If I have to reinstall KDE again and do a manual partitioning again I will. But what do I need on the partition so Cinnamon might recognize and use it to install on. As it is I still get that "low space" error message trying to install Cinnamon.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

You can build your filesystems and partitions with Gparted first, if you want. The thing is - and it's not a problem - the Mint installer will want to walk through the entire install process including building your filesystem and partitions. Gparted is great, but not always necessary.

In my opinion, the simplest thing to do is pick which version of Mint you want. Then make sure your UEFI will see the installer USB drive, then reboot the machine. Once the Live Mint shows up, then make sure your wifi will work and then select the install icon. As you get into the the install options, if you feel confident about following a step-wise process, select the "Something Else" option. Once you have the disk layout displayed in the partitioner, apply GPT to the entire disk, then build a 500 MB EFI partition. That part is fairly automagic once you tell the installer to do that, and it will build the 500MB partition with the fat32 filesystem. Once that is built, then tell the installer to build the remaining ext4 partitions for /, /home, and SWAP. / should be about 40 GB, SWAP should be about = RAM, and /home can be the rest. That would be a typical single user setup. Then make sure that the boot files/GRUB are targeted to the EFI partition - in this example probably /dev/sda1. Then let the installer lead you on to the rest of the process.

On my Mint laptop, which is also a playground for looking at other distros, I can do a full install in less than an hour including downloading software during the installation. On a Saturday afternoon, during an American rules football game I have installed and examined up to three different previously downloaded Linux distros. Once you've been through the pattern, it's not difficult, just follow the instructions.
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

jglen490 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:20 pm Then make sure that the boot files/GRUB are targeted to the EFI partition - in this example probably /dev/sda1. Then let the installer lead you on to the rest of the process.

Thanks. What is really cool is I did exactly how you describe except for that quoted step. How do I make sure the boot files/GRUB are targeted to that EFI partition? What happened when I did that is that "low space left" error message appeared and you can either select "details" or "ignore". But either way the computer just sits there on that page. Then the only way out is to hold down the power button.

I also tried the booting choice of keeping KDE and dual booting. That goes to a page where you can increase the size of an available partition by holding and dragging the cursor. I still left 100GB for the Linux Mint partition Expanding the open partition to, I believe it was about 850GB. Computer still just sat there after selecting continue.

I have 2 other laptops I use normally anyway. That one was just such a good deal for 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. Fun playing with though. It being a HP is what makes a lot of the problems I think. Huge amount of bloatware. HP has screwed me over before. They suck.

BTW, I have learned the hard way that Windows does not play well with Linux. MS's proprietary closed system is making dual booting dangerous. I have a friend who just built a hellacious super gaming computer from the ground up. But he was wise enough to keep Linux on a completely separate external hard drive.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

The option for that is shown in the lower part of the screen for setting up the partitions. If you have created an EFI partition it should show the same partition, but may show the default "/dev/sda" if the partition setup has not been completed. You can change what shows in that box.

I try not to play with Windows :D , so I avoid dual booting questions. There are way too many variables for this old guy. I'm very happy with having the single greatest OS in the world on both of my personal machines. I use Windows at work, but only because I appreciate my employer's paycheck and my employer appreciates my work :wink:
dquinn618
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dquinn618 »

My sentiments exactly. And thanks.
colins2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colins2 »

I'm pretty sure that if you had a legal, registered copy of Windows 10 then you can download and re-install as M$ will already have all the details for that installation. I know I managed to do it on my MacBook when it froze halfway through an upgrade and since then I read that M$ has the same service.
None of which helps your Mint problems, I'm afraid but since you are spending so much time installing, maybe re-installing Win10 will reset the laptop back to working condition. - Just a thought.

Return to “Installation & Boot”