Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 am Almost back to square one ; how do you suggest I can turn the HDA Controller on and make the Output real ? Unfortunately, the three-attachment limit prevents me from here showing what I see on performing

Code: Select all

pacmd list-sinks
but in the event it would be of interest, I can do so in a new post to this thread....
I have no AMILO La 1703 anymore, so I cannot test it with newer Mint. With newer Mints, it can be the next issue?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=268376
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 am
mhenriday wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 am Almost back to square one ; how do you suggest I can turn the HDA Controller on and make the Output real ? Unfortunately, the three-attachment limit prevents me from here showing what I see on performing

pacmd list-sinks
but in the event it would be of interest, I can do so in a new post to this thread....
I have no AMILO La 1703 anymore, so I cannot test it with newer Mint. With newer Mints, it can be the next issue?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=268376
As the enthusiastic message below, which I very nearly sent you yesterday,[ b]administrollaattori[/b] shows the problem doesn't seem to lie in which Mint edition I'm using ; for an all too brief period of time -tested by rebooting at least four times - the sound worked on this AMILO La 1703 machine with Linux Mint 19 Mate installed :
Administrollaattori, it would seem that the age of miracles is indeed not passed - I'm now able to listen to my favourite test piece, Pachelbel's Canon in D Major on this antique machine (very poor sound quality, but what can one expect from these speakers ?) !!! What I did in what I had determined was to be my very last try was to rerun

hdajackretask
, use the «Override» setting to set all unconnected pins that could be so set to «Internal speakers» did the same for «microphone» and «headphone». I then removed the «Override» setting, applied the new settings, installed a boot override, and then rebooted. I didn't expect it to work, but mirabile dictu, it did, and the internal speakers now function. I still am unable to test them via the sound manager, and headphones don't work (but plugging them in overrides the internal speakers !), but I am quite satisfied with the dénouement of our efforts and now mark this thread as SOLVED !...

Once again, much thanks for all your help ; it has been greatly appreciated !... :D
Before posting my response, however, I decided to reboot just one more time, and suddenly I found myself back at Square 1 again, with no sound !... 😢

The problem seems rather to be that the boot override, which should connect certain unconnected pins to the internal speakers either doesn't «take» or - on the rare occasions when it does, like that described in the response I almost posted to you yesterday - it then, for reasons unknown (at least to me), it removes, leaving the pins once more unconnected. I've tried performing hdajackretask again to resolve the issue, but no joy. This is what I see - first :
hdajackretask_2018-12-07_15-12-04.png
then, after selecting the option to show unconnected pins :
hdajackretask_2018-12-07_15-21-42.png
After overriding the settings for the unconnected pins, applying the new settings, removing the override settings from the individual pins, and finally, installing a boot override and rebooting, I return to precisely the same situation as in the first screenshot above, i e, that only the three pins - 0x1d[c], [c]0x1f, and 0x20, respectively - are connected, none of which are connected to the internal speakers. If I only could establish that connexion, as I briefly managed to do yesterday, and preserve it, then the problem would be solved....
n try running
For the moment, however, I remain at a loss. 👎 Do you think it would be meaningful to reinstall alsa and try running hdajackretask again ?...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint 19 on Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703 SOLVED !

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am reinstall alsa and try running hdajackretask again ?...
No, run

fuser -v /dev/snd/*
rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.pulse-cookie ~/.config/pulse
sudo alsa force-reload
.... and reboot and run hdajackretask if needed.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 pm
mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am reinstall alsa and try running hdajackretask again ?...
No, run

fuser -v /dev/snd/*
rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.pulse-cookie ~/.config/pulse
sudo alsa force-reload
.... and reboot and run hdajackretask if needed.
Alas, administrollaattori, the second step above failed :
rm_pulse_2018-12-07_19-54-14.png
which would seem to indicate that the root of my problem lies with the (missing ?) pulse audio installation.
Any suggestion as to how I can correct this, or should I simply move directly the third step above ?...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm Any suggestion as to how I can correct this, or should I simply move directly the third step above ?...
You have no those pulse-things, so go directly to the third step. :wink:
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:12 pm
mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm Any suggestion as to how I can correct this, or should I simply move directly the third step above ?...
You have no those pulse-things, so go directly to the third step. :wink:
Moved directly to the third step, with the following results :
alsa_force_reload_2018-12-07_20-16-31.png
All well and good, but when I reboot still no sound. I then use hdajackretask to access the HDA controller, and use override to connect all the pins that can be so connected, viz, 0x1c, 0x1e, 0x1f, 0x21, and 0x22, to «internal speaker», remove the override x, apply, and then install the boot override and reboot. But still, upon rebooting, my hardware is deactivated and my output a dummy - and, of course, I get no sound. Am I doing something wrong when I attempt to configure the HDA controller using hdajackretask in the manner described above ?... 😢

Henri
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 pm But still, upon rebooting, my hardware is deactivated and my output a dummy - and, of course, I get no sound. Am I doing something wrong when I attempt to configure the HDA controller using hdajackretask in the manner described above ?... 😢
But sound is working before rebooting?
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 pm
mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 pm But still, upon rebooting, my hardware is deactivated and my output a dummy - and, of course, I get no sound. Am I doing something wrong when I attempt to configure the HDA controller using hdajackretask in the manner described above ?... 😢
But sound is working before rebooting?
No, alas, no sound when I test it after attempting to apply the overrides but before installing the boot override. For some odd reason, I can't get my overrides which attempt to connect pins to «internal speaker» to «take» (save once, more or less by accident, yesterday, when I did get sound that worked for about an hour or so and which was preserved through several reboots)....

I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't imagine what it is....

Henri
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:31 pm I can't imagine what it is....
It is VIA quality. :(
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:35 pm
mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:31 pm I can't imagine what it is....
It is VIA quality. :(
But it worked - albeit briefly - yesterday, so I must, willy-nilly, have done something right. If only I could figure out what it was !...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 pm But it worked - albeit briefly - yesterday, so I must, willy-nilly, have done something right. If only I could figure out what it was !...
Write all steps you do down and test. That is the only way to debug an issue. :wink:
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 am
mhenriday wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 pm But it worked - albeit briefly - yesterday, so I must, willy-nilly, have done something right. If only I could figure out what it was !...
Write all steps you do down and test. That is the only way to debug an issue. :wink:
I repeated precisely the procedures that resulted in that (all-too brief) success, but the second - and third, etc, etc - time around, they didn't work. I blame it on quantum mechanics and die heisenbergsche Unschärferelation .... :wink:

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 amI repeated precisely the procedures that resulted in that (all-too brief) success, but the second - and third, etc, etc - time around, they didn't work. I blame it on quantum mechanics and die heisenbergsche Unschärferelation .... :wink:
One possible reason can be a lack of permissions. Check that you are into audio group, and if not, add yourself and reboot.

groups
sudo adduser your_username_here audio
sudo reboot
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:45 am
mhenriday wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 amI repeated precisely the procedures that resulted in that (all-too brief) success, but the second - and third, etc, etc - time around, they didn't work. I blame it on quantum mechanics and die heisenbergsche Unschärferelation .... :wink:
One possible reason can be a lack of permissions. Check that you are into audio group, and if not, add yourself and reboot.

groups
sudo reboot
Here is what I see (it took me a while to realise that the system wanted the first name «bo», rather than the owner's full name, which appears under «Accounts», to be inserted in the text of the second command :
groups_2018-12-08_17-59-25.png
Alas, no change with regard to sound when I reboot - quiet as the grave....

So it goes !

Henri
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:45 am

groups
sudo reboot
Well, administrollaattori, there doesn't seem to be any alternative to grasping the nettle and returning the computer to its owner without having fixed the sound problem. BUT, just before going to sleep last night, something else occurred to me : when using this machine I've always had it connected to the internet via an ethernet cable (for me, a cable is always a cable and vastly to be preferred to a wireless connexion). What would happen, I thought, if I took away the cable and tried to connect it via my wireless network ? As you probably realise from the very fact that I'm writing you, when I tried it this morning, I found the answer to be : nothing. No available wireless networks are shown, despite the fact that wireless LAN indicator indicates that the wireless LAN module has been turned on. (I have now been able to add a wireless connexion under «Network connextions» in the Control Panel as seen here
Nätverksanslutningar_2018-12-09_11-21-40.png
and couple it to my own wireless network
Trådlös_anslutning_2018-12-09_11-07-24.png
but when I click on the connectivity icon in the panel, no wireless alternatives are provided....) :!:

Lack of sound is one thing and can be lived with ; lack of a functioning wireless connexion is quite another and a real bummer. If, with your knowledge of and experience with this Fujitsu-Siemens machine, you know of a magic bullet which would allow the machine to connect to a wireless network, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions....

Again, much thanks for bearing with with me and this machine as long as you have !...

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

mhenriday wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 am If, with your knowedge of and experience with this Fujitsu-Siemens machine, you know of a magic bullet, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions which might help to resolve this particular problem....
Only way to get Wifi working in AMILO La 1703, is to use Ndiswrapper and Windows XP's sis163u.inf driver.
https://puolanka.info/goto/ndiswrapper- ... ver-setup/

The sis163u.inf driver
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 am
mhenriday wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 am If, with your knowedge of and experience with this Fujitsu-Siemens machine, you know of a magic bullet, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions which might help to resolve this particular problem....
Only way to get Wifi working in AMILO La 1703, is to use Ndiswrapper and Windows XP's sis163u.inf driver.

The sis163u.inf driver
this is what I see (truncated due to file size) when I run

inxi -Fxz
Inxi_-Fxz2018-12-09_12-11-39.png
I then downloaded the sis163u.inf driver and extracted it to the «Downloads» map :
Hämtningar-WLAN_2018-12-09_12-23-52.png
but came to a stop when I then attempted to install it via the command line ; I found myself unable to follow the instructions (the second line modified to reflect the map to which the extracted WLAN files were downloaded on my machine) :

sudo ndiswrapper -i /path /driver.inf
sudo ndiswrapper -i //home/bo/Hämtningar/WLAN/sis163u.inf
no matter what I try. When I run

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
I, of course, get the following :
modprobe_2018-12-09_12-43-27.png
How do I resolve this dilemma, i e, my inability to install the ndiswrapper ?...

Henri
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 am

The sis163u.inf driver
PS : I was finally able to install the ndisgtk interface and use that to install ndiswrapper -
sis163u_2018-12-09_13-50-42.png
and
ndiswrapper_-l_2018-12-09_14-11-46.png
- but the results of running modprobe and iwconfig to confirm this achievement were not encouraging :
modprobe_&_iwconfig_2018-12-09_13-53-58.png
What's going on here ?... :?:

Henri
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

rfkill list all
sudo rfkill unblock all
PS. Did you noticed that Fn+F2 activates Wifi ?

PS2. If you have too modern modem, it can be incompatible with older wifi chips, which shows that laptop sees wifi, but cannot connect. The solution for that is to use older modem or hotspot from phone or tablet.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

administrollaattori wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:36 pm

rfkill list all
sudo rfkill unblock all
And this is what I see when I carry out the above and then check available wireless networks :
rfkill_2018-12-21-11-35-49.png
PS. Did you noticed that Fn+F2 activates Wifi ?
Indeed I did - I even rtfm, which informed me on the status indicators found on the device's front left, of which the wireless LAN indicator is that furtherst to the right ! But alas, toggling this switch on and off does not resolve the problem.... :|
PS2. If you have too modern modem, it can be incompatible with older wifi chips, which shows that laptop sees wifi, but cannot connect. The solution for that is to use older modem or hotspot from phone or tablet.
My modem/router is a Tilgin HG2381, which I received from my IP, Bahnhof. I'm not certain if it is too modern, but it is doubtless significanly more modern than this antique AMILO.... :wink:

Since this computer seems to put me in supererogatory mode, I've now - with the help of a cable - now upgraded it to Linux Mate 19.1 Tessa. But that has, alas, had no effect whatever on the wireless problem (or, for that matter, on the sound problem). So it goes....

Hyvää joulua ! :)

Henri

Return to “Installation & Boot”