(solved) increasing swap in lm 19

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

(solved) increasing swap in lm 19

Post by no no »

When I used LM 18.3 on a 240 gigs ssd and 8 gigs ram a swap partition of 8 gigs was created by the system.

Now on the same machine (240 gigs ssd and 8 gigs ram) LM 19 had created only 2 gigs swap. and sometimes the system freezes

The swappiness value is 60. Should I modify it, how to do?

As I use many vids at the same time, the system sometimes freeze.

How can I increase the swap partition in LM 19? I do not see any partition in my LM19 SSD

Thank you for your attention
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: increasing swap in lm 19

Post by Rocky Bennett »

You might be confusing two completely different concepts. A swap partition is a separate partition that actually resides on your SSD and it is something that you can see in GParted. A swap file is a just that, a file that resides in your HOME partition and that you can see within in your Mint installation itself. With 8 gb of RAM you should not need any more Swap than is created automatically during installation, but some of the other members here will advise you better on that.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

in LM 18.3 I see the swap partition,of 8 gigs and never had problems.

In LM 19, I do not see any partition. In LM 19, I do have 2 gigs swap only and I have freezing problem.

What is the solution?
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

One's need for swap in a function of a couple of things, one of which is what one is doing with the computer. So, providing an idea of what you were doing when the computer freezes up on you would go a long way in helping to figure out the next step. Also, a characterization (description) of what you mean by "freezing problems" would also help.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

Sometimes I use and work on many vids at the same time.

In this case most of the time when I look at the monitor of the system, the memory ressource is full (98% of 8 gigs) and the swap ressource is full (100% of 2 gigs).

In this situation, my mouse is no more moving correctly, I ca n not do anything with it (open, close etc..), nothing works anymore and the only inelegant solution is to cut the electricity.

I would like to avoid to increase the memory for now.

(excuse my English)

Please note that this did not happen in LM 18.3 with a 8 gigs swap partition
Last edited by no no on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Yep - you need more swap.

In LM 19, as has already been stated, you can implement swap as either a partition or a file. The file implementation is much easier - it's done by default for you. But the 2GB default is, obviously, too small for your use.

This page seems (i.e., I've not tested it) to have what's needed to increase the size of swap file. By extension, it can also me used to move the swap file from one device to another. Which gets me to my next point. Having swap on HDD will be a lot slower than having it hosted on SSD.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

I would not move the swap file to another device, this is not consistant.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

no no wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:37 am ...
Now on the same machine (240 gigs ssd and 8 gigs ram) LM 19 had created only 2 gigs swap. and sometimes the system freezes

The swappiness value is 60. Should I modify it, how to do?
According to the following link, in section 1.6, you can change swapiness, but with your system having 8 GB RAM, you may not notice a difference.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... important-
no no
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) increasing swap in lm 19

Post by no no »

Thank you, it worked

The first answer of the link you gave ( https://askubuntu.com/questions/927854/ ... e-terminal ) allowed me to increase to 13 gigs the swap file. ied:
sudo mkswap /swapfile
mkswap: /swapfile : avertissement : effacement de l'ancienne signature swap.
Configure l'espace d'échange (swap) en version 1, taille = 13 GiB (13958639616 octets)

Now i will see how this works for me.
gm10

Re: (solved) increasing swap in lm 19

Post by gm10 »

Swap space is fine but ultimately a fallback, you should seriously consider simply adding more RAM to the system if you're relying on swap that much.

Return to “Installation & Boot”