Linux MInt 19 on external disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomlogan1

Linux MInt 19 on external disk

Post by tomlogan1 »

I have Mint installed on a separate hard drive and boot from the bios. Windows is on the C drive of the HP 8440P laptop.

My Root and Swap partitions are 10GB each, an Root is currently 75% +/- full. Home is 275 GB +/-.

Can I use Gparted to reduce Home and then expand Swap which I would then reduce in order to expand Root.

The objective is to give extra space to Root without starting over.

Thanks. Am very new to linux and would prefer Gui based as my command line expreience ended at DOS 4.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: Linux MInt 19 on external disk

Post by philotux »

Hi tomlogan1,
This is how I would do it:

1) Back up my important data in /dev/sdc6 (in the screenshots below sdd6 and so on)

2) Boot into Mint Installer/Live USB

3) Launch Gparted

4) Mark /dev/sdc6 in the table, right-click on it and choose Resize/move. Grab the slide bar at the left and move it to the right to the size of your liking
-dev-sdd - GParted_003.png
Resize-Move -dev-sdd6_004.png
philotux

Post by philotux »

5) Mark /dev/sdc5, right click and move it all the way to the right ( no need to expand and shrink afterwards)
move-swap.png
philotux

Post by philotux »

6) Mark /dev/sdc2, right click, resize/move. Shrink it all the way to the right:
shrink-extended.png
7) Mark /dev/sdc1, right-click, resize/move, expand it all the way to the right. And finally apply all the operations from the toolbar.
apply-operations.png
The whole thing will take some time to finish.
Good luck!
tomlogan1

Post by tomlogan1 »

Thanks for the response. You verbalized much better the steps I envisioned. Since I had an extra 500 GB disk laying around, I copied the smaller disk with Clonezilla and then resized the partitions. Now have a 50 GB root, 10 GB swap and 440 GB filesystem.

Best of all, i no longer need Windows and their lousy updates.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Sounds great! Glad to hear that you found a solution that works.
Greetings
:D

Return to “Installation & Boot”