Cannot change keyboard language

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dominiic

Cannot change keyboard language

Post by dominiic »

Hi,

I reinstalled my Linux Mint. Version is 17.3. System default language is French. I downloaded language packs for English and Chinese:
pic2.jpg
Everything should run fine, except it's not: it's impossible to change from french to another language. My shortcut Alt-left + Shift makes no effect:
pic3.jpg
Selecting a language from the Applet doesn't work either.The three languages show up on the applet, and they highlight when I over my mouse over them, but clicking them has no effect:
pic1.jpg
What can I do now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dominiic

Re: Cannot change keyboard language

Post by dominiic »

Update: Still not solved, but had found something:

When I go to Keyboard Settings and move English above French, my keyboard switches to English. Now Alt-left + Shift works only one way: from another language to French, but when I Alt-left + Shift again from French to another language it doesn't do it and still have the same problem.

I tried to keep only English in the Keyboard Settings. Then I uninstalled French and Chinese from the Language Settings (both Language and Region), I clicked "Apply System Wide", entered my password and restarted my computer. After that, everything appeared in English, but my Keyboard Language was still French and unchangeable, despite I deleted it everywhere I could.

Now it is possible to reinstall the whole Keyboard Applet? The problem must be with the System Language, because the language switch shortcut does work, only not from the System Language to another one.

I had the same Language and Linux Mint version 17.3 before I reinstalled it, installed it from the same bootable device, and never had this problem before.

Return to “Installation & Boot”