OEM install not found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CommonGrackle
Level 1
Level 1

OEM install not found

Post by CommonGrackle »

I'm not finding the menu that (among other things) allows for OEM install showing up when booting from the ISO downloaded from LinuxMint.com.

I used the OEM ISO install year ago (and saw and used that menu that shows up in the docs), but things have obviously changed since.

For this answer I've unsuccessfully searched this forum, the LinuxMint site, site:forums.linuxmint.com "oem", the install documentation, the LinuxMint docs, and more. I find everything needed except for the first step: where to find the ISO that includes the OEM install, and how to activate it.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Clovis

Re: OEM install not found

Post by Clovis »

I think you are confused by terminology. I don’t think there is anything resembling an “OEM install” or OEM version of Mint.

Microsoft has OEM versions of Windows for commercial reasons, to segment the market and charge more for full licences. Whatever version of Windows you use, the licence has to be activated, again to make sure all licences are properly paid for.

Mint is free (as in beer, as well as speech), so licence activation isn’t a thing, nor are OEM licences. Just pick the ISO which matches the desktop you want and install it according to the documentation. On as many machines as you want, as often as you want. The Mint team does gratefully accept donations... :wink:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes, there is. The selection is at the beginning. There is no special ISO needed. All the ISOs have that option.
Clovis

Post by Clovis »

Well I never. So... what’s the difference between an OEM install and any other install. Enquiring minds need to know!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

An OEM install basically installs with a setup so that when a user first turn on the computer, the user will be asked for a username, password, etc.

It's very useful for when someone who sell computers with Mint on them.

Return to “Installation & Boot”