<SOLVED>Newb: Installed Mint but cannot boot without inserting iommu=soft in place of quiet splash

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZSM

<SOLVED>Newb: Installed Mint but cannot boot without inserting iommu=soft in place of quiet splash

Post by ZSM »

Hi there,

These and other Linux forums have been very helpful working through several issues, but am finally stuck and need to post. Hope you can lend a hand!

I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon with kernel 4.15.0-42 generic.

It is installed on a Lenovo Ideapad 330s. The "inxi" readout is:
CPU~Quad core AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~1297/2000 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 Up~24 min Mem~961.4/6856.5MB HDD~128.0GB(15.2% used) Procs~241 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56

When originally booting from a USB to perform an installation, I needed to do so in compatibility mode. I disabled secure boot.

After installing, I rebooted and was not able to proceed past a blank screen. I tried several different edits to the grub boot screen (I think that's what it is called) which I think disable graphics drivers or applied a vega driver (e.g., "nomodeset" in place of "quiet splash"). These unfortunately did not work in my case.

What did work was deleting "quiet splash" and inserting "iommu=soft". I am not sure what that command does - my search for an answer suggests it has something to do with memory management.

Anyway, Linux Mint will boot from the hard drive when I edit that iommu=soft parameter into the grub.

After booting, I was able to get wifi working by installing the driver for the Realtek rtl8821ec adapter using the advice in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=276656.

I then updated everything in the "Update Manager". I sought to update drivers, but the "Driver Manager" indicates no proprietary drivers are in use.

I did add "synaptics" drivers to allow the touchpad of this laptop to work.

At this point, whenever I try to boot (whether from a shutdown or a restart), I get a black screen (no cursor in the top left, and ctrl+alt+del has no effect). I am only able to boot by powering down, then holding down "shift" and then edit the grub to replace "quiet splash" with 'iommu=soft" each time while booting.

Would be very grateful for any assistance!

Thanks a lot.

Zak
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Newb: Installed Mint but cannot boot without inserting iommu=soft in place of quiet splash

Post by ajgringo619 »

My Gigabyte motherboard has similar issues. If I don't disable IOMMU (in the BIOS) and add iommu=soft, I can't use any of my USB3 ports. In fact, when I first installed Mint, I had to move my mouse/keyboard to USB2 ports. Do you have IOMMU enabled in the BIOS?

Question: is everything working with the iommu=soft switch?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Newb: Installed Mint but cannot boot without inserting iommu=soft in place of quiet splash

Post by smurphos »

I everything works OK with iommu=soft then you can make that permanent by editing /etc/default/grub via sudo nano /etc/defaut/grub in a terminal and amending the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="iommu=soft quiet splash" saving then running sudo update-grub

Shouldn't need to remove quiet splash but you can if you want.

https://github.com/spotify/linux/blob/m ... s.txt#L207 gives an overview of the effect of the iommu=soft option.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ZSM

Post by ZSM »

Hi smurphos, thank you, that was very helpful instruction. I made the permanent change to the grub and now the machine boots fine. I didn't know how to do that. I also appreciated the link to the boot options documentation -- hadn't seen that before.

Hi ajgringo619 - as far as I can tell, it is working OK with the iommu=soft switch, including the USB. Thanks for pointing that out as a possible issue for me to check. I was not able to see a way to change the iommu setting in the BIOS of this computer, however.

I am inferring from the responses (and the description of the iommu=soft setting in boot options document linked by smurphos) that there is nothing wrong with the installation or machine simply because I need the iommu=soft setting for it to boot. If there are possible issues I should check, please let me know. In the mean time, seems to be all OK.

Thanks for the help!

Zak
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ZSM wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 am I am inferring from the responses (and the description of the iommu=soft setting in boot options document linked by smurphos) that there is nothing wrong with the installation or machine simply because I need the iommu=soft setting for it to boot. If there are possible issues I should check, please let me know. In the mean time, seems to be all OK.
It's pretty new hardware and support in the linux kernel isn't mature yet. In a couple of months you should have the option to install a newer kernel series via update manager. Once that happens it would be worth checking if it boots without that option.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Installation & Boot”