Windows Boot Manager not working through Mint dualboot Grub Acer Aspire TC-710

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gm10

Re: Windows Boot Manager not working through Mint dualboot Grub Acer Aspire TC-710

Post by gm10 »

^ what he said. Make one entry for each.

And by the way, I knew that grub should be able to boot Windows directly, so it should have worked even without the efi stub, see https://wiki.debian.org/DualBoot/Windows10 (only if you're interested, stick with the solution at hand for now, and dunno why update-grub/os-prober didn't handle that automatically)
kukamuumuka

Re: Windows Boot Manager not working through Mint dualboot Grub Acer Aspire TC-710

Post by kukamuumuka »

What is the result for the next command

Code: Select all

inxi -po ; sudo parted -l ; sudo efibootmgr
Skylekko

Post by Skylekko »

administrollaattori wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 am What is the result for the next command

inxi -po ; sudo parted -l ; sudo efibootmgr
Partition: ID-1: / size: 81G used: 11G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96M used: 55M (57%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
ID-4: swap-2 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda8
Unmounted: ID-1: /dev/sda2 size: 0.02G label: N/A uuid: N/A
ID-2: /dev/sda3 size: 895.02G label: Windows 10 Acer
ID-3: /dev/sda6 size: 0.52G label: Recovery
ID-4: /dev/sda7 size: 999.88G label: Windows 8.1
philotux

Post by philotux »

That's only frominxi -po. Please run:

sudo parted -l
(that is a lowercase "L")
and

sudo efibootmgr
as well and post the output. You could use </> from the toolbar above the reply-box to enclose them.
Skylekko

Post by Skylekko »

For

sudo parted -l

Model: ATA WDC WD20EZRX-22D (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB   105MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      106MB   123MB   16.8MB                  Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      123MB   895GB   895GB   ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata
 4      895GB   903GB   8000MB  linux-swap(v1)
 5      903GB   991GB   88.3GB  ext4            Basic data partition          msftdata
 8      991GB   1000GB  8591MB  linux-swap(v1)
 6      1000GB  1001GB  524MB   ntfs            Basic data partition          hidden, diag
 7      1001GB  2000GB  1000GB  ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata

Model: Generic- SD/MMC/MS PRO (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 7948MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      4194kB  7948MB  7944MB  primary  fat32
and for

sudo efibootmgr

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001  ubuntu
philotux

Post by philotux »

Skylekko wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:26 pm

5      903GB   991GB   88.3GB  ext4            Basic data partition         msftdata
I am out of my depth here but could that be the fact that the Linux partition is flagged asmsftdatabe part of the problem.

This flag identifies a Microsoft Basic Data partition. It normally holds a Microsoft filesystem, like FAT or NTFS, so such partitions will include your C: partition and perhaps recovery or data partitions.

Just intuitively, I would boot up from the Live USB, run Gparted and remove that flag from the ext4-formatted linux partition, reboot and see if it works.

But just wait for the experts to chime in.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...to drop my 2 cents as well...

As you never replied back, i'm still wondering if Secure Boot was explicitly enabled after setting the supervisor password,
in order for the manual selection of an .efi file to be enabled.
Because in 99% of the Acer models i've encountered in recent yrs, such was all that was needed (almost textbook prodecure),
with maybe an extra bcdedit / efibootmgr command needed as a final step.

...still, even if your uefi implementation is the exception to the above, gm10's instructions will do the trick:
don't rush when following instructions (and certainly do not delete directly .efi files).
Of course and it will loop if it cannot find such...now back to the current situation:
efibootmgr -o 0001,0000 && sudo update-grub
But i seriously doubt such would make a difference after rebooting:
you'd most likely still need to edit / add by hand grub entries.
Maybe easier altogether in such case just installing rEFInd, but whatever...
Skylekko

Post by Skylekko »

efibootmgr -o 0001,0000 && sudo update-grub

Could not set BootOrder: Permission denied

I hadn't realized I had disabled safe boot again when I set the supervisor password. It's definitely turned on now with the supervisor password
berry.whitetiger

Post by berry.whitetiger »

It shouldn't matter how many windows partitions you have in your machine. However grub2 can only reconcile the one that is in the /Recovery partition (100mb-only) which is usually the first partition /sda1 on your drive. This partition should have the /boot flag set because the chain-loader reads that first. Having said that i now will confuse the heck out of you. I have moved myw7 /recovery partition to /sda2 and set the boot-flag there. I use /sda1 for all my Linux kernels, and it is a very small partition as well 200mb. Of course you can do all this magic with gnome- partion tool gparted or the kdeparted partitioning tool /usr/bin/partitionmanager. If you have not tried the grub-customizer then I expect it will ease your pain by automating the grub2 editing some. just add the apt repository as follows then apt-get the customizer to solve your grub headachs.

Add grub-customizer to fix boot screen & icons
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

if you need help with boot issues install the boot-repair tool or grab the boot-repair bootable CDR.

boot-repair tool for fixing grub
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install boot-repair
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It has been mentioned on the forums many times by knowledgeable people here in the forums to, (DO NOT USE GRUB-CUSTOMIZER) with Linux Mint distributions...it is known to actually increase the problems that you may have already, especially on dual boot systems...use the "search" window and type that in to see for yourself...DAMIEN

Return to “Installation & Boot”