[Solved] Proper way to download sha256sum.txt.gpg file

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snowpaw
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Proper way to download sha256sum.txt.gpg file

Post by snowpaw »

I know this is way dumb, but I am trying to download the sha256sum.txt.gpg file and put it in my ISO folder. How do I do this? open it, copy and paste it to a writer file? What are the correct steps?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Proper way to download sha256sum.txt.gpg file

Post by rene »

Right-click the link, chose (in Firefox) "Save Link As...".
redlined

Post by redlined »

as an aside, do the same as rene suggests for sha256sum.txt too! the .gpg text file you ask about will validate who it was signed by, trusted or not. The sha256.txt is what you need to actually verify the ISO is complete and the same as distributed by Linux Mint (official) sources
snowpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snowpaw »

Thank you very much.
dsimatos

Post by dsimatos »

rene wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 pm Right-click the link, chose (in Firefox) "Save Link As...".
By doing the above, firefox 64 tries to save an *.php file. Is there any problem with thw site ?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Proper way to download sha256sum.txt.gpg file

Post by rene »

Certainly doesn't; seems you are right-clicking the wrong link(s). On https://linuxmint.com/verify.php pick the correct version for the ISO you downloaded and right-click-download the sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg files from the resulting page. If there's any issue for you, you have a local problem, probably concerning an installed, broken addon.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:44 am If there's any issue for you, you have a local problem, probably concerning an installed, broken addon.
The site was broken, Xeno fixed it earlier. But if anyone still has a problem now, then what you said. ;)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Broken in a manner that makes downloading a .txt file download a .php file? Rather original I would say. Also, I tested a mere 45 minutes after poster.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

So, I wasn't the only one having problem downloading it last night. Thanks, Xenopeek for fixing it! :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am Broken in a manner that makes downloading a .txt file download a .php file? Rather original I would say. Also, I tested a mere 45 minutes after poster.
Do we have to argue this? I reported this last night via PM to xenopeek and he told me today that it got fixed. You can ask him about the exact timing for the fix. :P

Those links are generated by a script. The problem was they didn't generate, so the href was empty, which makes the links point to the page itself. The page is called verify.php, and that's the filename the browser will propose if you try to download the page itself. Nothing original about it.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

gm10 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 am Do we have to argue this?
I don't, but you seem to have to argue approximately 90% of posts I make on here and it's starting to annoy me.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rene wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 am you seem to have to argue approximately 90% of posts I make on here and it's starting to annoy me.
Ugh, I have honestly no idea where this is coming from but my heartfelt apology if I offended you. I value your contributions here and in no way meant to make you feel uncomfortable, I just thought I was adding information on the situation here.

Since I don't know how else to avoid this "conflict" and for no other reason I'll add you to my block list so I won't reply to you again.

Merry christmas. :)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

gm10 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 am Merry christmas. :)
Not to be expected. Otherwise, fine, but note that 50% would already do it for me...

Return to “Installation & Boot”