Ryzen 2400G MSI B350M black screen during install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonesy20

Ryzen 2400G MSI B350M black screen during install

Post by jonesy20 »

Hey guys,

Trying to find a linux distro that will work with Ryzen 2400G and MSI B350M w/ M.2 drive. Windows 10 works fine on separate SSD drive. Ubuntu 18.04 goes black almost immediately during install. Debian 9 works fine but I think GPU is limited. Going to be using this as an arcade machine with Unity3D running on it. I'm trying to install Mint 19 Cinnamon off of a thumb drive. I've tried Start Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit and compatibility mode from the first grub screen and I immediately get a black screen. Is there something I can try from command line or to edit boot up script that might help me further diagnose this?

I have the latest BIOS (11-08-2018) from MSI's website.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Maxxarcade
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ryzen 2400G MSI B350M black screen during install

Post by Maxxarcade »

I'm using a Ryzen 2400G on an MSI B450M Mortar, as my home theater PC running Kodi. Just built it about a week ago actually.

You need a later kernel (Mint currently has 4.15.x). Right now I'm using Ubuntu 18.10, with the kernel updated to 4.19.9 by using Ukuu. Manjaro 18 also seems to work ok.

I had a problem with the system freezing at a black screen on Manjaro (or at the Ubuntu splash screen when using Ubuntu 18.10) during boot, unless I move the mouse or press some keys. It was hanging up at something about "random: crng init".

When I upgraded the Kernel to 4.19.9, I'd have to wait 5 minutes for it to boot to the desktop, and it wouldn't respond to the keyboard during that time. Installing the package "haveged" seems to have fixed it, at least on Ubuntu. It loads pretty much instantly, even on the old SSD I have.

Also, I'm curious what RAM you're using on that system. I have 8GB (2x4GB) of Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3000. At first I had to use XMP to get it to run at 2933, even after updating the BIOS. But for some reason after I cleared the CMOS, it auto detects the RAM at 2933 and I didn't have to change any settings.
jonesy20

Post by jonesy20 »

I ended up trying nomodeset on the startup script in the installer and it let me install it. Before that I couldn't even get it installed enough to try a different kernel.

I installed latest kernel and it boots pretty quickly. I've been trying to install latest Mesa (18.2 or 18.3) and can't get them to compile. Anyone with a 2400G have any luck with latest Mesa?
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by perdomot »

I made a similar rig using the 2200g on a B450 Mortar with LPX 3000 ram and had the same issues. Ended up using Xubuntu 18.10 with the newer kernel and mesa drivers and it seems to work well. This is my back up PC as my main rig is running Mint XFCE on a 1500x/1050 ti combo. The two OS are very similar though I prefer the Mint version. From what I've read, the 19.1 update will still use the 4.15 kernel so the problem will continue.
Knoose

Post by Knoose »

Was running into the same problem (I think, appologies when it is not)
Found a solution though for those interested.

When booting from install media press e when you can select which option you want in the grub menu.
there is a line with quiet splash in it. type 'nomodeset' before 'quiet splash' (without the brackets) and then press ctrl-x

You can then boot into the install media, when you have installed mint and boot into the installed grub, do the same.

Update kernel with ukuu when you have booted the installed linux mint.
maethlin

Post by maethlin »

Knoose wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 am Was running into the same problem (I think, appologies when it is not)
Found a solution though for those interested.

When booting from install media press e when you can select which option you want in the grub menu.
there is a line with quiet splash in it. type 'nomodeset' before 'quiet splash' (without the brackets) and then press ctrl-x

You can then boot into the install media, when you have installed mint and boot into the installed grub, do the same.

Update kernel with ukuu when you have booted the installed linux mint.
You are a hero. So, a bit more detail here for anyone who runs into the same issue.

I was installing Mint 19.1 onto a system with an AMD 200GE processor (same would probably apply to the 2400G). As Knoose mentioned, the key here is to type nomodeset before the quiet splash - which seems to bypass the video settings that the 4.15 kernel wants to use. This lets you boot into mint. Some things to note:
  • On an initial install of USB or CD from ISO, you don't get a grub menu per-se, you get the option to hit TAB before booting, which lets you edit the bootup line - type the nomodeset before quiet splash, and hit enter to continue booting, and go through your full install process and reboot.
  • After the reboot (and removing the install USB), that's when you can get into the grub menu (I had to reboot a couple times before I got the option), from there you do the same nomodeset change, and hit ctrl-x as Knoose said
  • I wanted to be a bit more conservative than using ukuu and the latest kernel, since those would not be specifically tweaked for Mint/Ubuntu. Instead, I went into the "Update Manager" utility in my new Mint install, and selected the latest 14.8 kernal which is officially supported. This worked for me, but even if it didn't it may be better to use the instructions here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8 instead of resorting to ukuu
I'll also state that while this commonly linked post: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842 is where a lot of people end up to solve this problem, it actually sidetracked me for a bit, because radeon.modeset=0 wouldn't work (as one would expect), and the instructions to add the nomodeset AFTER the "quiet splash" parameter also didn't work. It was Knoose's suggestion to put it before quiet splash that got me through.

Return to “Installation & Boot”