19.1 slow to start [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LostAndDazed

19.1 slow to start [SOLVED]

Post by LostAndDazed »

Hi All, just moved over from Ubuntu after many years. Loving 19.1.

But and yeah, there is always a "but," it is slow to start. On every boot/reboot I have to sit through 7 or 8 full cycles of the green and white dots rolling through. I have it set up with dual boot and Ubutnu-16.04 but 19.01 is the first item on the Grub menu. If I select the Ubuntu option it boots through to the login in about 2-seconds.

Is there something I can do to speed Mint up? I am a programmer and rebooting is something that can need to happen many times a day. {gasp!} :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 19.1 slow to start

Post by Flemur »

LostAndDazed wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pmIs there something I can do to speed Mint up?
Probably.
I am a programmer and rebooting is something that can need to happen many times a day. {gasp!} :)
Then you should know that you need to supply information about your problem; could you fix your software if someone said "it's too slow", with no other information?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

information that would be useful can be done by copy and paste to the terminal, the commands i will list below...DAMIEN

System Specs.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System Start Up Time

systemd-analyze
System Start Up Programs etc.

systemd-analyze blame
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

Flemur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm Then you should know that you need to supply information about your problem; could you fix your software if someone said "it's too slow", with no other information?
Thank you for the reply. And, should I know what information I needed to supply when asking in a Help forum and I get "we need to know more information?"

Perhaps a quick read of Damien1307's excellent reply might prove beneficial to you. Just because I am a programmer I am not also a mind-reader nor anywhere near an expert on Ubuntu/Linux/Mint. et al. If I knew where to look I would not need to ask. No?
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:20 pm information that would be useful can be done by copy and paste to the terminal, the commands i will list below...DAMIEN
Thanks Damien, gathering it as I type. Is the last command supposed to be running forever? I get a message about closing an active process after I start it and then try to close the terminal.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

LostAndDazed wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm Thank you for the reply. And, should I know what information I needed to supply when asking in a Help forum and I get "we need to know more information?"
Yes, you should.

Because right above your post it says, with a link:
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
and you didn't do what it says.
Perhaps a quick read of Damien1307's excellent reply might prove beneficial to you.
Not at all.
Just because I am a programmer I am not also a mind-reader nor anywhere near an expert on Ubuntu/Linux/Mint. et al. If I knew where to look I would not need to ask. No?
No. Are you actually claiming you haven't heard of that "google" thing? And also that you can't see the search box on the forum?

linux mint show startup time
will show you all that stuff, including a "How To Speed up Linux Mint Boot!" but you didn't make any effort at all to solve your own problem.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

OK, I suspect the problem is the apt-daily is causing it as there is no Internet at that time.

How do I disable apt from looking?
I had already disabled the Linux Mint Update manager in Startup programs to prevent such shenanigans. :)

Thanks again.
userx@userx-ACERx2:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 37.001s (kernel) + 32.993s (userspace) = 1min 9.995s
graphical.target reached after 2.096s in userspace
userx@userx-ACERx2:~$ systemd-analyze blame
30.920s apt-daily.service
627ms apt-daily-upgrade.service
596ms dev-sda5.device
520ms setvtrgb.service
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

Flemur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm but you didn't make any effort at all to solve your own problem.
And, you know that how? Oh wait, sarcasm is what I was missing in my search terms I guess. Let's not turn this into a pi55ing competition.

I did in fact search here before asking and found a few things related to Mint-18. I tried those and nothing has made a difference. In fact I also did found that "apt-daily" in Ubuntu was causing similar issues. I then tried several things suggested there to delay the DailyTimer but they made no difference either. So, I feel comfortable that I did do some research.

Having thought about it some more, I remembered a similar problem I had when installing Ubuntu 16.04 some years back. I am using an SSD and had installed it without a Swap Partition. I went back through my notes and found the quote below.

I also found some references to Mint-19 and the same Swap issue. At first I discounted that idea for Mint-19 as Ubuntu 18.04 is no longer dependent on the Swap file, so I assumed since Mint-19 is based on that, then it too would not be a Swap file issue. I will now go back and play with that option and see if that fixes it.
Ubuntu 16.04 Slow Start
OR Message at boot about a CRYPTFILE ...

sudo nano /etc/crypttab
cryptswap1 /swapfile /dev/urandom swap,offset=1024,cipher=aes-xts-plain64

Check also that your /etc/fstab file ends with:
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0
Fingers crossed. :)
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

OK, none of that worked either. But at least the apt-daily is no longer there. But something is eating that 36-second start up. Only a few seconds seem to deserve any "blame,"
Startup finished in 36.340s (kernel) + 2.170s (userspace) = 38.511s
graphical.target reached after 2.159s in userspace

systemd-analyze blame
548ms dev-sda5.device
545ms setvtrgb.service
457ms upower.service
343ms udisks2.service
337ms NetworkManager.service
292ms networkd-dispatcher.service
291ms systemd-journal-flush.service
277ms accounts-daemon.service
240ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
230ms ModemManager.service
206ms ubuntu-system-adjustments.service
203ms avahi-daemon.service
202ms apport.service
200ms hddtemp.service
199ms systemd-cryptsetup@cryptswap1.service
198ms systemd-logind.service
193ms grub-common.service
182ms networking.service
159ms alsa-restore.service
155ms thermald.service
154ms wpa_supplicant.service
154ms lvm2-monitor.service
152ms lm-sensors.service
lines 1-23...skipping...
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

Woo hoo -- fixed, it is so fast now I don't even get to see the Splash screen.
DAMIEN1307

Re: 19.1 slow to start [FIXED]

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Now all you need to do is contribute the "FIX" to the forum as to just how you did fix it so others can be helped as well...DAMIEN
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

LostAndDazed wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:14 pm Woo hoo -- fixed, it is so fast now I don't even get to see the Splash screen.
Great! yes, how did you fix it? please! thank you. :D
LostAndDazed

Re: 19.1 slow to start [FIXED er, um -- SOLVED]

Post by LostAndDazed »

OK, just playing with you, I will also fix the "FIXED"

I thought I had been abandoned after providing the data requested and daring to talk-back to the old hand requesting information but not stating which or what information.

OK, enough of that: It was a Swap file issue as I had surmised. So I dug farther back through my notes as I recalled I had this issue after installing a Ubuntu-17.01 early Beta, way back when.

I tried adding a 1.6GB Swap Partition and it suddenly came good, but that is not a good solution for an SSD. So, dug a little farther back in my notes. The fix is to stop it searching for a non existent Swap Partition. After the fix, I was then able to remove the Swap Partition and save the SSD wear life a little.
Do this
sudo xed /etc/default/grub

Change this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT ... // whatever else may be here
To include noresume
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noresume"

Then do
sudo update-grub
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

LostAndDazed wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 pm The fix is to stop it searching for a non existent Swap Partition.
Great!

Just to add a better point for most cases:
Do this
sudo xed /etc/default/grub
-not like that.

Do any of the the following instead:

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub (this is for systems that are pre-polkit[pkexec] integration that use gksudo/kdesudo such as any Ubuntu before 18.04 and anything before Mint 19)

sudoedit /etc/default/grub (set default editor, for example: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1460757#p1460757)

xed admin:///etc/default/grub (using elevated permission via gvfs methodology)

pkexec xed /etc/default/grub (if you already set polkit file for policy on xed)
LostAndDazed

Post by LostAndDazed »

zcot wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:39 pm Do any of the the following instead:
Can I ever get anything correct? {sigh} ;)

I had tried using gksudo but it was not installed and I hate adding stuff for one-time or very limited use use, besides gksudo is for sissies. Perhaps I should have shown the code below but for what is needed that bare sudo works fine.

sudo -i xed /etc/grub/default
philotux

Post by philotux »

LostAndDazed wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 pm I had tried using gksudo but it was not installed ...
gksudois no longer available in LM 19.x/Ubuntu 18.04 onwards.
... besides gksudo is for sissies
FWIW,
Graphical sudo

You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root. You should use gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming owned by root. (AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started process with gksudo vs. sudo).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... hical_sudo

Return to “Installation & Boot”