Grub 2 boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Grub 2 boot problem

Post by special_20 »

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 with Linux Mint 19 installed on it. I had a boot problem some weeks ago and I asked for help here on the forum, see here : viewtopic.php?f=46&t=280038&sid=6748801 ... 06ffd4bc5a

I had the same problem today so I applied the same solution. But when restarting my laptop it did not boot normally. I have a grub prompt with the following message : "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completion". I searched the internet. I found for example this topic on unix.stackexchange : https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ter-reboot

But it did not help me solving my problem. So now I am asking you for assistance, any help would be highly appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Grub 2 boot problem

Post by special_20 »

Hi all,

I come back to this problem after some months. So here is what I understand about the grub.cfg file : grub.cfg contains some variables necessary to start my laptop. Here is what I get when I type the following command :

cat (hd0,gpt1)/efi/ubuntu/grub.cfg

search .fsuuid 20f3866d-2c67-4801-bb8a-8156f5bfba35 root hd0,gpt2
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg

where $root=hd0,gpt1

I assume that the variable "prefix" stands for the path to the folder containing the grub.cfg file. The path to the grub.cfg file being "(hd0,gpt1)/efi/ubuntu/grub.cfg" the variable "prefix" should not be "($root)'/boot/grub" as specified in the grub.cfg file but "(hd0,gpt1)/efi/ubuntu/".
So what I did is to try to modify the value of "prefix" by doing :

set prefix=(hd0,gpt1)/efi/ubuntu

Then if I do echo $prefix I get the correct value for "prefix" but when I try to reboot I come back to the same grub prompt.....

So can you help me understand this problem and solve it ? I am sorry, I am not so good in what is related to grub so maybe my questions may seem a bit stupid :oops:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

Thank you deepakdeshp for your suggestion. I just identified how to start from a bootable usb drive on my laptop. I will try to apply boot-repair tomorrow and keep you informed.
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

Hi,

I created a bootable USB flash drive with linux mint cinnamon and followed the instructions given in the link but an error occurred during the repair, here is the log file :

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/cQ8DxqTK3z/plain/

At the end of the repair I had the following message : "Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file !"
Do you know how to do it ?

I must say that I am a bit sceptical, is it possible to repair the boot if boot-repair is not able to do it ?

EDIT, noob question : could reinstalling grub with a live disk help solve this problem ?
special_20
Level 1
Level 1

Post by special_20 »

Hi all,

Here are the latest news : I created a bootable usb flash drive and started from the usb stick. I realised I could retrieve the data stored on the hard drive. So I just got saved on an external hard disk. I then reinstalled Linux Mint and now everything is fine :)

By the way, even if I can start my laptop now I feel like I did not solve the problem, if no admin asks me to switch the status of this discussion to [SOLVED] I will not do it because the question I consider that the question I ask initially is not solved.

EDIT : initially the problem appeared because I left my laptop too long on standby, now I have setted all the options so that my laptop can not be on stand by except in the case where I set the laptop on stand by my-self.

Return to “Installation & Boot”