Where's Grub?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hectorthepudding

Where's Grub?

Post by hectorthepudding »

Before I start this let me say I am NOT a coder/geek or very tech-savvy user!....

I installed LM on a small Wiindows 10 laptop (Toshiba NB10t-A). I managed all the ISO image onto USB stick stuff, and launched LM several times from the stick successfully. I then proceeded to install onto the Windows machine itself with what I thought would be the easiest option for me..."INSTALL LINUX MINT ALONG SIDE WINDOWS 10" (because I know naff all about partitions and stuff and don't really want to know!)

There was a line where the install said that at startup I'll be able to choose which operating system to boot into. That was what I wanted, great.

However, after completing the install and restarting, it just boots into windows every time - there is no sign of any os options at startup. Effectively it seems to mean that all the LM install files have disappeared into the machine never to be seen again. I CAN'T ACCESS LINUX MINT.

Rather dissatisfactory. I really haven't got a lot of time to mess around with this, and not much inclination to either, to be honest. The install said it would give me the option of which os to boot into, but it doesn't.

Is there a simple, straightforward answer to this? Or am I better just wiping my hands of Linux and soldiering on with Windows?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Where's Grub?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Did you install legacy bios (CMS) or UEFI mode? What tells

Code: Select all

inxi -po | grep sd ; sudo parted -l ; sudo efibootmgr
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Did you use the instructions here:

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

And do you know which version of Mint you tried to install? Does your computer use BIOS or UEFI?
hectorthepudding wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 pmOr am I better just wiping my hands of Linux and soldiering on with Windows?
No, you are better wiping your hands of Windows and joining the wonderful world of Linux! I am certain that you will be able to install Linux on your computer, and that you will be glad that you did. ... Oh, I just noticed that this is your 21st post on the forums. I assume you have previously installed Linux Mint?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hectorthepudding

Post by hectorthepudding »

Thanks for replies, guys!
Did you install legacy bios (CMS) or UEFI mode? What tells
......... I've no idea! I don't know what they are and I haven't installed them! I've just got a laptop running Windows 10 Home! :)
Does your computer use BIOS or UEFI?
....... again, I've got no idea! What are they?

The only thing I've tried to install is Linux Mint...and I think it was Mate or XFCE, but can't remember as it's disappeared into a black hole!
PDXsailor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PDXsailor »

Older computers use (legacy) BIOS, aka CMS. Newer ones use UEFI, aka EFI, which provides more services. Unfortunately the term "BIOS" is often confusingly used generically to refer to whichever is installed, or even more confusingly, being used (UEFI firmware often has a legacy BIOS mode). Your (generic) BIOS will hand off to GRUB using either CMS or UEFI protocol so your GRUB install needs to be ready for the appropriate one. That is why you need to know and use the appropriate setting. At least that is how it all looks to me - I am no Linux guru, and welcome corrections.

You can boot into your (generic) BIOS by holding down the F2 key when powering up, releasing it a second after the power button (according to the manual I found). Maneuver around using the arrow keys and see what it says. My guess is that it is EUFI if the processor is 64-bit, but probably CMS if 32-bit. It is also possible to access this info from within Windows via Toshiba System Setup Utility, or Toshiba System Settings, Desktop -> Desktop Assist -> Tools & Utilities -> System Settings (it is not clear which does what so just jump in and take a look). You should then be able to answer the question CMS vs UEFI. And at that point someone with more experience might be able to guide you...

BTW, when asking for help it is a bad idea to present with "I don't know, and I don't want to know". Ignorance will not solve your problem, nor will lack of effort. Many will help you if you are willing to roll your sleeves up and put in some effort; otherwise there are others to help. I really do get frustration, but learned long ago that rustrationf about how we respond to problems, and not a part of the problem. Sorry if this doesn't go down well - I really am trying to help you.

Don't give up yet!
PDXsailor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PDXsailor »

Another thought: this model has seen many BIOS updates. You should check that you have a current version sooner rather than later, although it may be better to wait until the immediate problem is solved to avoid confusion. It appears that at least later versions support UEFI, although yours may still be using CMS - particularly if you have a 32-bit CPU.

Return to “Installation & Boot”