Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
neversaynever
Level 1
Level 1

BusyBox during booting after updating

Post by neversaynever » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi
My desktop: Acer Travelmate 8573TG, with BIOS and Windows 7 64bit.
I installed succesfully two yers ago LinuxMint 18 32-bit on an external USB HDD (80GB) and I worked very well up to now.
Today I made an update and Linux crashed once or twice.
I rebooted, but suddenly I saw on the screen:
BusyBox v1.22.1 (ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built in shell (ash)
(initramfs) _
with the blinking prompt.
I'm not a technician and I understand nothing. So I tried "exit" and I read for a second something lik that: "\dev\sb1 contains ..." maybe errors (I'm not sure); and then ... BusyBox once more.
I tried "reboot" and I obtained:
[ 1.020197] tpm tpm0: A tpm error (6) occurred attempt to read a pcr value
[ 2.797174] sd 6:0:0:0 [sdb] No caching mode page found
[ 2.797204] sd 6:0:0:0 Assuming drive cache: write through
BusyBox (initramfs) _

I doubt that HDD is dead ... but I can't intepret the issue.
Is there anything I can try before abandoning the possibility of re-using Linux? Must I try to re-install from zero?
Thank in advance for the attention

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: BusyBox during booting after updating

Post by all41 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 am

LinuxMint 18 32-bit on an external USB HDD (80GB)
Does the computer boot normally to Win with ths drive unpugged?

neversaynever
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neversaynever » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:46 am

all41 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 am
LinuxMint 18 32-bit on an external USB HDD (80GB)
Does the computer boot normally to Win with ths drive unpugged?
Thank for your reply.
Yes, without problems. The problem is only when I boot from the external USB HDD where I installed LinuxMint.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 pm

A relatively simple thing to try would be a file system check, which also will repair most problems if that's the issue. Done most easily from a live session, i.e., the same DVD or USB you used to install. If you don't have that, decide which version you likely would use if you reinstall. Download the ISO and (in Windows) burn to USB with Rufus (that's a portable you don't even have to install). Or burn a DVD if you're more comfortable with that process.

Now, boot up the live session, plug in the external hard drive and open Terminal. Run sudo fsck -yv /dev/sdc1. (This assumes you're booting from a USB; if using a DVD, use sdb1.) As you're in a live session, the password is blank, so just hit Return if asked for one.

I haven't had to run fsck in a while, so don't remember what gets returned when the check finishes. As I recall, though, it's pretty obvious when it's done but not obvious whether it worked. Power down the live session, then try to boot the old system. If it works, come back and mark the thread solved. If it doesn't, report that and we'll see whether someone else has a bright idea.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

neversaynever
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neversaynever » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 pm

pbear wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 pm
try ...a file system check, ...from a live session.... plug in the external hard drive and open Terminal. Run sudo fsck -yv /dev/sdb1.
Power down the live session, then try to boot the old system. If it works, come back and mark the thread solved. If it doesn't, report that and we'll see whether someone else has a bright idea.
Hi pbear and thanks a lot for your advise and for the very detailed process description. I only had to unmount the partition before doing fsck.

/dev/sdb1 contained a file System with Errors, check forced. During checking it has been made some changes:
- changed a filetype (from 1 to 2) in /home/MyName/.local/share
- cleared a direct link (with reference to Mozilla Firefox) in /home/MyName/.cashed/mozilla/firefox/.. to /home/MyName/.local/shared/recently-used.xbel
- changed an Entry in /home/MyName/.local/share
- changed a ref. count in inode .... (from 1 to 2)
- connected an unattached inode to /lost+found
- fixed block bitmap differencies and changed free block file count for one or two groups.

Finally I tried the booting from my USB HDD external device and after the first booting with error (but without blocks), the second and third bootings were OK. Now Everything seems to work correctly. Thanks a lot.
Only ywo questions:
- is the issue probably linked to upgrading of Firefox from v63 to v.64 ? ('inter alia' I found on the screen a new file 'Firefox feeds backup.opml' to manage existing live bookmarks eliminated by Mozilla with the v64);
- when I tried to entry in BIOS with the F12 (enabled) key to change the device booting, I found it "Disabled" (and I didn't make this change, I'm sure). May the fail of the booting from USB HDD with file system errors have caused this strange inconvenient ?

Return to “Installation & Boot”