19.1 looks just the same as 19? (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yertchuk
Level 1
Level 1

19.1 looks just the same as 19? (Solved)

Post by yertchuk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Just upgraded. But my user interface looks exactly the same as before, apart from larger panel icons. Everything seems to work, and keeping things the same suits me fine. But I'm puzzled as to why I don't see any significant changes.

And yes, I did check that I'm indeed on 19.1 Tessa!
Last edited by yertchuk on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 19.1 looks just the same as 19?

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Have you read https://linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php to see if that's what you got?

For example, the new modern layout on the panel doesn't show window titles for programs you have running but only shows their (large) icon. And windows of programs are grouped, so if you open two or more windows of one program it will only show one icon form them on the panel; hovering your mouse over the icon on the panel will show you the previews of the open windows over it.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Personally I would find it impossible to not notice the contrast changes for one. I expect I'll eventually like it, but for now, ouch.

The (normally green) "bar" on the underside of the panel window list entry for the active window seems rather objectively ugly...

yertchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yertchuk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:31 pm

OP here. After some google searching, I went to the 'welcome screen' by searching in the menu. This gave me the choice between old and new layouts. I selected 'modern' and sure enough saw the various changes mentioned in the whats-new list. I was expecting to be given that choice at some point during the upgrade process, but didn't see it.

Since I was happy with the old layout, I selected that again in the welcome screen. Problem then was that all my panel customizations had gone. Restoring the home folder got them back, and now I've got what I want.

Thanks for those who've already replied. I'm going to mark this as fixed.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 19.1 looks just the same as 19? (Solved)

Post by xenopeek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Ah, right. I did a fresh install so got the modern layout as a default.

Return to “Installation & Boot”