Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sabasti
Level 1
Level 1

Boot repair help please [Unsolved, no longer required]

Post by Sabasti »

Edit: Update: Soddit. r,m -rf /* (purposefully wrecked in case someone is daft enough to try that).

Hi

Installing a new graphics card and my grub got corrupted, had to reset the bios and I think that did it. All in all, I'm having a frustrating time trying to figure out what I need to do.

Upon installing the graphics card, it wouldn't actually boot in. It's the RX 590 Radeon, so that'll be fun getting that solved. I thought something had gone wrong with the bios and reset. Immediately it dropped into rescue mode.

Funny thing is... in some cases via the USB live boot I can actually get back to my original, but without it, it drops straight back into rescue. I'm not clear how to get from the Live Image to the Original install and back again, I half think it's pot luck.

So I need to repair my grub I think, the rescue mode doesn't care to read the filesystem which is in /dev/sda3 (boot was partitioned separately). I've been looking through the tutorials on how to get back.

Using and setting the parameters in the rescue mode doesn't work. I can use the original installation in sda1 and it fails because it can't find normal.mod in the boot folder in there. It can't read sda3 (yet I can get to it through the live disk). Has a nice EFI folder in there.

(Linux Mint 18.3 btw).

Basically. Help. Please. Reinstalling is not really an option at this stage, there is information held in my previous session that I would very much like to save and is not easily backed up.

I've also tried "boot-repair" but it keeps telling me there's a package manager open and to close that before attempting the repair...but there isn't one running.
Last edited by Sabasti on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Boot repair help please

Post by SuperBoby »

Hi,
Sabasti wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:56 pm
Installing a new graphics card and my grub got corrupted, had to reset the bios and I think that did it. All in all, I'm having a frustrating time trying to figure out what I need to do.

Upon installing the graphics card, it wouldn't actually boot in. It's the RX 590 Radeon, so that'll be fun getting that solved. I thought something had gone wrong with the bios and reset. Immediately it dropped into rescue mode.

I don't quite understand your train of thought here... You physically installed your new graphics card, then the computer wouldn't boot anymore ? Did you have to remove it to be able to boot again ? What does it have to do with the BIOS ?...
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

Sabasti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sabasti »

Right so my previous GPU died. Display kaput had to remove and simply use the onboard graphics. Inserted the new GPU hooked it up and attempted to boot. Fans whirred 100% and black screen for a while, some errors about AMDGPU failing and then the display corrupted. I rebooted, figuring that restoring bios to factory defaults might help. I don't actually change them away from defaults, but it was worth a shot. The computer will start up witht he GPU but will only get anywhere with integrated graphics.

Needless to say on reboot, I get the nice grub rescue issue. This happens with our without the GPU. Annoyingly enough.

===========
error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>_
===========

I really just want to get my system back to working even if only through integrated graphics I can work on the gpu later. I know somewhere in there I was planning to go back to integrated graphics mode to potentially install updated drivers but no joy. I don't think the gpu is actually having an effect on the grub, I'm not even sure why bios had an effect.

SuperBoby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SuperBoby »

What I can think of immediately is that resetting the BIOS caused the boot order to be modified from the way it was before, then causing grub not to find your /boot partition. What is your partitioning scheme ?
LMDE 3 Cindy x64 on :
Lenovo Thinkpad T410, X220 Tablet, X61

Sabasti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sabasti »

I think I have one answer. Normal.mod is not in x86_64...it's in i386_pc... and apparently no way to change one to the other....

As for my partition scheme...

/dev/sda1 - Ext 4 Root (boot/grub/i386_pc/normal.mod is in here)
/dev/sda3 - fat32 Boot/efi - has the boot, esp flags.
/dev/sda4 - Ext4 home
/dev/sda5 - Ext4 var
/dev/sda6 - swap
/dev/sda7 - Ext4 - Dedicated experimental space
/dev/sda8 - Ext 4 - More dedicated experimental space.
/dev/sda2 - Ext4 Bulk data

This is by the way, supposed to be a 64bit installation.

(Thanks for having a look into it by the way, much appreciated).

I've just gone and compared the /mnt/etc/fstab to the drive uuid's as seen in gparted and everything seems to match up.

Return to “Installation & Boot”