Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
freshtamatic
Level 3
Level 3

I need to build my dad's laptop with a dual boot of LM, need help

Post by freshtamatic »

He's got on of the fancy thinkpad Extremes that have 1X512GB SSD and 1 X 256SSD
before jumping in, I have been given a warning, If he doesn't like it, he wants the machine JUST the way it was before with his Win10 installation.
BIOS is running on UEFI, my hands are wet from the fear something might go wrong, he looks up to me and called my computer wiz lol
My Plan of attack is boot from a usb with LM on it and follow commands like I have done so many times, but not on dual boot with 2 SSD!
Does this sinuation so far present any problems/conflicts?
Oh, and what the way to bring back an entire Win10 laptop to look like nothing happened, with its drivers, software etc...?
I'm thinking the 256SSD goes full to LM in Legacy mode, I guess that means GRUB right? Any hints, last passwords, thinks to watch out for are much respected. especially about the one If he doesn't like it he wants it back in its original state

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Re: I need to build my dad's laptop with a dual boot of LM, need help

Post by AndyMH »

With win booting in UEFI you have no choice, mint has to boot in UEFI, you can't mix and match. Have a similar setup on my desktop, 240G SSD = all win, 120G SSD = all mint, 1TB HDD shared (so formatted as NTFS). But I installed win10 in legacy mode... Plenty of others here to guide you through a UEFI install. When you install select the 'something else' option. Assume 512G SDD is win and likely to be sda, 256G SSD will be sdb. Point the installer at sdb and tell it to install mint there. Your choice on whether to have separate / and /home partitions.

To get it back the way it started - do a backup before you begin. You could use the win image backup tool, or third party. Choices could be macrium reflect (win based), clonezilla or redo (linux based). You will find advocates of each here, I'm a redo fan (but development on it ceased in 2012).

Looking at the specs, that is one serious laptop, both SSDs look like M.2s so should be interchangeable. Another alternative would be to swap the SSDs around (or remove the 512G SSD and replace with the 256G SSD). Then install mint in legacy (or UEFI) on the 256G SSD. If it all goes belly-up then simply put the 512G SDD back in. One issue here - what's the 256G SSD currently being used for?

Whatever you do, do a backup first, which kinda implies that you need a 1TB USB HDD as well.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

freshtamatic wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:27 pm
He's got one of the fancy thinkpad Extremes that have 1X512GB SSD and 1 X 256SSD
before jumping in, I have been given a warning, If he doesn't like it, he wants the machine JUST the way it was before with his Win10 installation.

Before you do anything to his laptop, install Macrium Reflect Free

Then goto tools / Create Backup Media
then make a LiveCD/DVD/Flashdisk so that you can restore it back to exactly the way it is now.

you will need to use an extUSB HDD to put the cloned disk image on...

once you have done that, now you can afford to do a Dual Boot so that he can go back and forth between what he has now, and the new Linux Mint you install. Install alongside Windows

Since he is a Windows person, I heavily advise that you install 18.3 Cinnamon because it is so polished and free of irritations for a Windows person to use.

All of the keyboard shortcuts are the same he is used to, and the menus are similar enough, he won't get frustrated with them.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

rbmorse
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rbmorse »

Why not create a Mint install device on a USB flash drive and boot the computer in the "live desktop" mode? That won't make any changes to the existing machine and has the added bonus of making sure Mint can support the peripheral devices (especially the wireless network and touchpad, and video). If he doesn't like it, just shut down, unplug the flash drive and power back up into Windows 10.

Before you make any actual changes to the machine's configuration it would be advisable to know the purposes for which your father uses the laptop and make sure there are good Linux analogs for the Windows software he normally uses. You'll also want to know if he can use his existing data without a great deal of manual manipulation or conversion.
Hope is not a plan

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

just how much RAM has this machine actually got on-board ?
- if it's got at least 4Gb & more preferably 8Gb of RAM:
then install an VirtualBox onto the Windows System, & see how that works for him.
- - easy to remove, as well. 8)

if he does seem to like the Linux Idea, then you can get more serious, about an dual_boot system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

then install an VirtualBox onto the Windows System, & see how that works for him.
Now why didn't I think of that! Simple compared to dual booting, and with that laptop, performance in a VM will be very good :D
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Step One: let him take a test drive and make sure all the hardware is supported
Now why didn't I think of that! Simple compared to dual booting, and with that laptop, performance in a VM will be very good :D
[/quote]
rbmorse wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:20 am
Why not create a Mint install device on a USB flash drive and boot the computer in the "live desktop" mode? That won't make any changes to the existing machine and has the added bonus of making sure Mint can support the peripheral devices (especially the wireless network and touchpad, and video). If he doesn't like it, just shut down, unplug the flash drive and power back up into Windows 10.

Before you make any actual changes to the machine's configuration it would be advisable to know the purposes for which your father uses the laptop and make sure there are good Linux analogs for the Windows software he normally uses. You'll also want to know if he can use his existing data without a great deal of manual manipulation or conversion.
Step Two: beats dual boot IMHO for convenience
AndyMH wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:18 am

Return to “Installation & Boot”