Before you post please read how to get help
Raycoupe
Level 3
Level 3

Configuring disk and partitions for fresh install/pc [Solved]

Post by Raycoupe »

Some thoughts about configuring/installing my new (blank) system:

Plan for disklayout/configuration:

512 SSD - systems drive, no swap partitions (16 Gb will have to do, hibernation not required)
BTRFS filesystem

- Required EFI partition
- 8 x 32 Gb system partitions (For multiple Linux installations/flavors and bootable system partition copies).
- 256 Gb partition Home folder, Timeshift files and for data I'm working on and need the speed.

8Tb - Data drive
BTRFS filesystem

- One big partition. Everything ends up here and is backupped twice, onsite and offsite.
- System Images (whole partitions).
- Backup home folder (not automated)
- Private data (photo's, work, document, etc, anything not downloadable).
- Other data (music, video's, iso's, software, etc.).

Normally, one would configure home and Timeshift files on a different HD, I choose this deliberately not to get OS mixed with my data (which is used cross platform). Also, this disk will not be online all the time, just when needed, I will mount the device.

Starting with a blank system, I will first have to install Linux Mint 19.1 on a 32Gb created partition, or perhaps create all partitions with Gparted or some other usb bootable partition manager? Use the BRTFS tools? Which is wise?

BTRFS a wise choice? Love the fault-tolerant capabilities, on the fly resizing of partitions and compatibility with other OS'ses. Won't be doing any complicated shit besides copying and replacing whole partitions and perhaps resizing them. No RAID configuration.

Other issues I need to address to achieve this under Linux Mint or just your thoughts/advice on this layout?
Last edited by Raycoupe on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Configuring disk and partitions for fresh install/pc

Post by xenopeek »

Without swap with 16 GB RAM should be fine. That's how I roll 8) Just have to keep track of memory when wanting to run a lot of VMs at the same time.

I've used Btrfs since 2014 but it takes time and knowledge to use properly. It won't offer you the performance of Ext4 (see for example https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... nux-416-fs). For certain directories and files—with big files with lots of in-place writes like VMs (that I use a lot)—the default copy-on-write (CoW) mechanism is a performance hindrance instead of a benefit and you'll have to selectively disable it for such (see https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php ... _.28CoW.29). Defragging is needed periodically. Compiling is also a bit of a performance disaster on Btrfs. So much so that I'm usually compiling on a RAM-disk but that's not an option for everything.

Anyway, I've been too lazy to go through the hassle to reinstall with something else and there are nice bits about Btrfs (subvolumes and snapshots). If I had to install a system for somebody else I would just use Ext4 and set up redundant backups. I hope to put together a new system early 2019 and likely will go experiment again, like use Stratis (written in Rust and using XFS underneath). Not something you'd want to do on Linux Mint though.

Btrfs is fine, but do a bit of reading on maintenance of it.
Raycoupe
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Configuring disk and partitions for fresh install/pc

Post by Raycoupe »

Thanks, @Xenopeek, thats the info I needed to immediately discard BTRS for me. Those test show a huge difference in performance! And performance is key here, since my backup strategy takes care of fault tolerance. I presumed performance benefits with the meta data when sorting/syncing/reading files, but apparently that was false.

EXT4 it'll be. I'll do my resizing of partitions (if ever needed) via bootable media.

- For my setup I require all data completely separate from the system (system must run with out data storage present, so no redirecting /home there).

- Every OS should run from its own partition, only depended on EFI partition. I hate it when the second OS only boots when the first system/partition is active/online. Multiboot should be handled by the hardware firmware, Normally I just separate physical discs and unplug/disable any other disk installing OS'ses.

I'm a sucker for nice tools and graphical interfaces, but there's no substitution for low level system partition backup. I'm looking for bootable solutions, one I use now, Acronis 2014 might just work fine. Any other tools with a graphical interface for creating/copying/cloning/resizing partitions are very welcome.

In time I will spend more time learning the terminal way for all of this, since it will make personal automation possible and much easier/consistent than within Windows. What's great also, it been the same for decades and my time spend learning all the different ways and solutions from other OS'ses or 3thrd party software vendors is a waste of time.

Nice prospect for the new year a new system @Xenopeek, can't wait till mine gets here. Still got a lot to figure out, feeling handicapt at sometimes. Just spend half an hour looking for a way to NOT auto arrange desktop items. It's not in Menu /Voorkeuren(Preferences?)/ Bureaublad (Desktop), but I had to right click the desktop itself and select Aanpassen (Customize?)to get there. Weird, not to have all the settings in one place. :?
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.

Return to “Installation & Boot”