Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PrestigePork
Level 1
Level 1

Can I install to a SSD?

Post by PrestigePork »

I've been having issues with my second computer not being able to read off a usb I plug into the machine, and the same with mine (I think it's an issue with the USB i'm using, my old one that I use to use broke) so I am wondering if I can just have operating system placed onto the ssd directly so that the ssd has the operating system already installed and I won't need to boot from a usb or cd.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can I install to a SSD?

Post by gm10 »

Of course. That's what SSD exist for, what else were you planning to do with it?

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

SSD ==> Solid State Drive

This is a functional replacement for spinning hard drives and are a complete (and much more reliable) replacement for hard drives.

Installing LM to an SSD uses the same process as would be used to install to an HDD - I have a number of computers that have SSDs.

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

PrestigePork wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am
I've been having issues with my second computer not being able to read off a usb I plug into the machine, and the same with mine (I think it's an issue with the USB i'm using, my old one that I use to use broke) so I am wondering if I can just have operating system placed onto the ssd directly so that the ssd has the operating system already installed and I won't need to boot from a usb or cd.
Yes, but it's a bit tricky*. It's probably a lot easier to fix your USB problem and do a normal installation

*e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/196933/how-to ... ard-drive/
Also search this forum, it's been brought up. I've tried it without any luck.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

srq2625 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm
Installing LM to an SSD uses the same process as would be used to install to an HDD - I have a number of computers that have SSDs.
He wants to download the ISO to the SSD and boot from that, because he can't boot the ISO from a USB or DVD drive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Poohstyx »

Need more info :)

Not knowing the spec of the machine or what USB hardware you have somewhat limits the potential advice.

Since you don't say thumb drive or memory stick I assume that you are using a hdd with some sort of usb adaptor?

Issues with it reading, did it work before on this machine?

Can it boot from usb?

Can you mount the internal drive as the usb & the ssd internally?
Hardware:
Motherboard = Intel DH77EB
CPU = G2020 with stock cooler
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws
Boot drive = Crucial 240GB msata

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:39 pm
srq2625 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm
He wants to download the ISO to the SSD and boot from that, because he can't boot the ISO from a USB or DVD drive.
Hmm, I guess that's another way to understand it. It would make more sense that way. But I read the OP several times now and to me it could mean anything.
Flemur wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:37 pm
Also search this forum, it's been brought up. I've tried it without any luck.
I got a few ISOs in my GRUB menu, it's not complicated. Here's an example of a generic entry for Mint, you'll likely have to adjust the root and isofile parameters at the top, leave the rest alone.

Code: Select all

menuentry "Linux Mint ISO" {
    set root='hd0,gpt2'
    set isofile=/linuxmint.iso

loopback loop ($root)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${isofile} quiet splash --
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

PrestigePork
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PrestigePork »

I should have clarified earlier but I mean like how you can run an iso of an operating system through vmware or virtual box and it will create a virtual drive.
I wanted to know if I took out the computers SSD would I be able to make the vm install the operating system onto that physical drive, and put it in the computer and have it launch normally.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

If you take the SSD out of the computer, how do you plan to install an OS onto it?

Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Poohstyx »

The easiest may I can see (assuming that the subject machine will boot from USB) would be to beg, borrow or buy a USB drive 4GB or larger, install the ISO on it, then boot from it and install the OS onto the SSD.
Hardware:
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

The way you are saying it is confusing the heck out of me; I assume you mean installing the ssd on a computer and using the vbox/VMware loading an ISO image and using that to install onto another drive? If that is what you mean then it seems to me to be the hardest way one could use to install a system if it would even work.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

PrestigePork
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PrestigePork »

Okay well it looks like it can't be done so far

Poohstyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Poohstyx »

Just a thought.
Can you install the iso to a small boot partition at the top of the SSD, boot from it, then install to the rest of the drive?
Hardware:
Memory = 4*4GB ripjaws

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

Poohstyx wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:36 am
Just a thought.
Can you install the iso to a small boot partition at the top of the SSD, boot from it, then install to the rest of the drive?
Yes - see post from gm10, above.

A quick Google search (parameters: linux boot from iso on disk) returns lots for results.

As an example page see this one or this one

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

PrestigePork wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:11 am
Okay well it looks like it can't be done so far
Oh, there's probably a solution, just not the one you think. Up to you whether it's worth your time to explain the problem and the objectives, respond to questions and try solutions offered. For it to work, though, you're going to have to invest some effort in the conversation.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I know it's an old topic, but isn't the kernel parameter 'toram' an option?
Copy iso on the SSD, config grub so it can boot from it, but with the toram parameter.
If the ISO is booted, now you can format the SSD because the OS is loaded into RAM!

But be carefully, you can do this only once! If the install fails and your SSD is formatted, you have nothing.. ;)
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

You misunderstand the problem. Wasn't that the OP only had one USB port. Was that he (or she) couldn't boot from USB. So, wanted to boot in a virtual machine then install to the SSD as an external device (presumably using a SATA-to-USB connector). Pretty sure that's the question.

As it happens, several months later, I had occasion to figure out something similar for my tutorial on full install to USB drive (see sixth tip). The interesting question, which I've not tested, is whether an SSD (or HDD) created by this method will boot if swapped into the machine post-installation as an internal drive. My hunch would be probably yes for a BIOS machine and maybe yes for UEFI.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Why do i misunderstand? (btw everybody does because he is not really clear in what he wants and what he has ;) )
But what i can make of his story is indeed he can't boot from USB. What is NOT clear is IF he has already an (maybe older) working OS on his SSD or not, that DOES bootup. IF SO and it is Linux, then he can copy the liveISO onto the SSD, make Grub start the liveISO from the SSD into RAM and then format the SSD and install the new OS. If the SSD is empty, then the above is no option.. because he has no way to boot, not from USB and not from SSD.

But how can he start a VM then??? Or do i miss something?
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I don't think it leads anywhere to warm up an 8 months old support thread trying to understand what the OP wanted at that time. When I said you should make your own threads maybe I should have included not raising dead supports threads, either. This is basic forum etiquette anywhere. :P

toram is a possibility but on the kinds of devices that fail to boot from USB often hampered by lack of RAM. In those cases just put the iso on a different partition or device. See also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Installation & Boot”