New Install Failure

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brushspin

New Install Failure

Post by brushspin »

128 Gb SSD with windows 10, finally made the jump to linux as a daily driver.

I did a clean wipe and fresh install using a live usb using YUMI (a miltiboot usb program), fired up mint 19.1 and wiped the drive using the default setting. I went through the installer, after install I rebooted only to be met by the dreaded blinking cursor. I did a lot of leg work today and after looking through most threads on this site I couldn't find anything that helped so here are all of my attempts to fix the problem.

Holding shift does not bring up grub so it's probably not installed correctly.
or
It has to do with AMD drivers not being installed (running radeon HD7850)

I've tried to use the boot repair program but was met with an error telling me the program wouldn't work in legacy more.
Trying to boot the usb in uefi mode doesn't work. The boot menu simply refreshes.

Now I'm trying to see if this has anything to do with the difference between MBR and GPT.
I'll keep everyone updated as time goes on. As it stands I have mint loaded on my laptop that I'm using till I can get mint to work on my desktop.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: New Install Failure

Post by Pierre »

did you check that the ISO checksum is correct:
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
select the version, for the ISO that you downloaded.

Do Have a read of this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
brushspin

Post by brushspin »

So i updated the BIOS on my ASrock mobo and the OS booted just fine. Not really sure what the exact problem was but I hope someone can reply with a reason. I'd love to replicate the problem and get to the bottom of the issue. As it stands now the solution just happened to work, i want to understand the problem a little better if at all possible. thanks
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

brushspin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm So i updated the BIOS on my ASrock mobo and the OS booted just fine. Not really sure what the exact problem was but I hope someone can reply with a reason. I'd love to replicate the problem and get to the bottom of the issue. As it stands now the solution just happened to work, i want to understand the problem a little better if at all possible. thanks
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 (Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards)
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

Return to “Installation & Boot”