What happens to EFI partition and grub if I reinstall?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
psklenar
Level 1
Level 1

What happens to EFI partition and grub if I reinstall?

Post by psklenar »

Going to set up a dual boot. Currently have Win10 boot from an SSD (with personal data on another). I have 2 more SSD's to set up Linux on (one to boot from and one for personal data).

Based on multiple "guides" I've found, the recommendation seems to be to disconnect the Win10 drives and install Linux with it's own /efi and / on the boot drive and /home on the 2nd drive. Then to plug the Win10 drives back in and refresh grub. Thus the Win10 EFI partition won't be touched and will be distinct from the Linux one.

Okay. Makes sense. But ...

What if I decide I want to try a different distribution (say I start with Mint Cinnamon, but then want to switch to Mint Mate)? Do I need to disconnect the Win10 drives again? Will the new install wipe out the first distribution's /efi & grub? Will it mess up the Win10 EFI partition if I don't disconnect it? Or ... ?

Thank you for any guidance!
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What happens to EFI partition and grub if I reinstall?

Post by gm10 »

With the setup you want, you need to install using the "Something else..." mode, anyway. That mode lets you select where to install the boot loader, so you don't need to disconnect anything as long as you remember doing that. And always have a backup of your data.
psklenar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What happens to EFI partition and grub if I reinstall?

Post by psklenar »

gm10,

Thank you, that's awesome news!

pat----

Return to “Installation & Boot”