Install full version plus programs from USB?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcf1000

Install full version plus programs from USB?

Post by dcf1000 »

Assuming a blank spacious USB drive, could someone help me with or point me to steps for creating an install USB for PCs that would:

--not require an internet connection to make major downloads or finish a complete install of linux mint (any recent version will be fine)
--install a particular set of programs.

I have a laptop with Mint installed and the programs installed, so that could be the basis of all this. I just need to be able to go into a remote area with infrequent and expensive internet and convert some machines from Windows to Linux and leave them with working educational software on them.

Possible? Thoughts.

My skill level, FWIW: I've messed around with Linux installs, software installs, etc. off and on for several years, but mostly live in the Mac OS world.

Any help, tips, warnings appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install full version plus programs from USB?

Post by jimallyn »

Software that you install is cached in /var/cache/apt/archives/, so you should be able to copy them from there to a USB stick and do the application installs from there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

You can easy build your own linux installer. Boot up the live system and select OEM to boot.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you want to build a copy of your current installation, respin might do what you want (I've not tried it):

http://www.linuxrespin.org/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”