[SOLVED] Problem downloading mint 19.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saxon

[SOLVED] Problem downloading mint 19.1

Post by saxon »

I downloaded Linux Mint 19.1 64bit Cinnamon from the home page. Put it onto a CD, and tried to install it onto my Toshiba laptop. It runs but will not install.
I have set the bios to boot from CD. Laptop has win 7.

Hope somebody can help.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Problem downloading mint 19.1

Post by Moem »

What exactly happens? In what way will it not install?
You're saying it runs. Does that mean you are getting to a Linux Mint desktop with the 'Install' icon?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, saxon.
saxon wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 pmI downloaded Linux Mint 19.1 64bit Cinnamon from the home page. Put it onto a CD, and tried to install it onto my Toshiba laptop. It runs but will not install.
What comes to my mind are 3 things in addtion to Moem's question:
  1. Where is the downloading problem announced in the thread title?
  2. The CD should actually be a DVD, because the ISO image size of linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso exceeds the capacity of a CD by more than 150%.
  3. Have you verified the downloaded ISO image file linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso, like explained here?
Regards,
Kar
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
saxon

Post by saxon »

Thanks for getting back Moem & karlchen.

I put the iso file which I downloaded from the home page of Linux Mint onto a DVD not a CD as I stated, as you said karlchen it would not go on a CD. I start the laptop bring up bios, set it to boot from CD/DVD. The DVD runs but the laptop boots normally into win7.

karlchen, I read the the article about verifying the iso image file, and sorry to say that I have no idea what it is about. My knowledge about such things is very limited, and the article I read made no sense to my brain. I can follow instructions but I am not fully computer literate.

I am going to try loading the ISO onto a USB and see if that works. Sorry for not getting back to you both sooner.

Best regards
saxon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Does your laptop have a Fast Boot setting in Windows? If so, switch it off. It's preventing Windows from shutting all the way down.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
saxon

Post by saxon »

Had to google that to find answer. Boot speed is set at Normal.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sorry, I have never even heard of a boot speed setting. Where did you find that?

To make sure we're on the same page: 'Fast boot' is a setting that allows Windows to shut down partially, so it seems to boot faster because it doesn't need to boot all the way up. On second thought (and an internet search), it may actually be called 'Fast Startup'. Maybe this article will help: https://www.maketecheasier.com/disable- ... t-startup/

saxon

Post by saxon »

I went into Google to find out where to find "fast boot". Restarted computer hitting F2. In the bios go to "Advanced" in mine the first item is "Boot speed" and it is set at "normal" with this option highlighted Hit enter and I have the option to change it to "Fast"

Am I on the same page or is there another setting somewhere on my laptop?

Best regards.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

saxon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:30 am is there another setting somewhere on my laptop?
I'm no Windows expert, but I believe there is. Check out the article I linked above. Does that shed any light?
--------------------------------------
On third thought :wink: Windows 7 does not seem to have Fast Startup. So that can't be it. That means something else is stopping the machine from booting from the DVD.
And you say you did set the DVD as preferred boot device. Then I'm officially at the end of my rope. But someone else can very likely help.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

even though the DVD as preferred boot device, in the BIOS - - it sometimes does Not keep that setting.
:?
so - do re-check that boot order is still set to dvd/hdd/ order. ..

try turning the machine OFF - with the disk, still in the drive & then restart the machine,
to see if the machine will now boot the disk, before the hdd itself.

if that still doesn't work - - is there an boot-order bypass function key ? it's usually F12 - try hitting that whilst re-starting.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, saxon.

The Windows 7 "Fast Start" is not the BIOS Setting "fast boot".
The Windows 7 "Fast Start" is a setting inside Windows, which is only accessible and changeable from inside the running Windows 7.
"Fast Start" actually means that Windows never shuts down fully, but instead goes to a hybrid sleep mode, which permits is to startup faster.
Yet, as soon as you want to dual-boot with another operating system, this hybrid sleep mode is no longer acceptable, because it also means Windows does not leave behind its filesystem in a clean state.

Yet, as far as I can judge Windows 7 "Fast Start" should not prevent you from booting your bootable DVD, provided
+ either the BIOS lists DVD as the primary boot device, HDD second
+ or computer has got a function like <F12> mentioned by Pierre to bring up an on-demand boot device selection

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
saxon

Post by saxon »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from you guys. A lot of it unfortunately went over my head. I said in an earlier post I was going to try putting the ISO on a USB. I have done that and it seems to have worked, so I am at the moment loading mint onto my laptop.

I intend wiping the disc and just having mint on the laptop. Its a first time for me so I might be back with more questions how to do things on mint. If it all goes belly up I can reinstall laptop to factory settings.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Best regards,
saxon
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, saxon.
saxon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 amI am at the moment loading mint onto my laptop.
I assume that this means that you are currently installing Linux Mint 19.1 on your laptop.
Keep my fingers crossed that all will work smoothly.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

saxon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 amI intend wiping the disc and just having mint on the laptop.
Do yourself a favor. Before you wipe the drive, make a system image backup and create a system recovery disk. (The latter is what you use to boot the system for restoring from the former.) It's a relatively easy process. You'll find it in Control Panel: Backups. You'll need an external hard drive equal to the used space of your current system. Actually, this also can be done by CD/DVD, but that's a painfully slow process.
saxon

Post by saxon »

Thanks Karl, pbear,
All the very best for the New Year.
saxon
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

@saxon,
When you wrote "I put the iso file which I downloaded from the home page of Linux Mint onto a DVD", did you simply copy the iso file or used it as an image to burn the DVD?

AFAIK iso copied onto a CD/DVD do not boot, on the other hand the iso file can be seen as an image when copied on a usb key... Might be wrong, but the story looks like the downloaded iso was copied into the dvd, not used as an image to burn the dvd :wink:
saxon

Post by saxon »

Thanks for that arvY99. I burnt it to a dvd.

I then put it onto a usb using rufus. All went well and I put Mint onto the laptop using the usb.

I have another problem now which I will post on the appropriate support page.

Regards

Return to “Installation & Boot”