Install Blues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jarew
Level 1
Level 1

Install Blues

Post by Jarew »

My attempts to install mint 19.1 has been unsuccessful and frustrating. The upgrade route gives terrible screen flicker and after reading the forms and trying some of the suggested fixes I just gave up going this way. So a fresh install was next. Unfortunately the install disk just booted to a login in screen where using mint as user no password would just look to work but go back to login screen again. OK lets remove Nvidia 1030 card and try again. Success was on hand as I was able to install mint and all looked good until I shut down and installed my 1030 card. Rebooting again brought the login screen where my installed login name and password would not work. Also the mint no password would not work. Thanks to clonezillia I was able get back to mint 19 where I will stay until another update.

I have successfully installed Mint 19.1 on my other computers and being able to install without the Nvidia card I assume it’s the culprit. Also I tried different ISO, three different installs. Beyond my pay grade to figure it out.

Dell inspiration i3
4 gig ram
Nvidia GT 1030 graphics
Mint 19
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Install Blues

Post by kyphi »

How frustrating it is to seemingly go round and round and get nowhere.

I am not sure what you meant by "booting to a login screen". Whenever I have installed Linux Mint, it comes to a black screen asking for a name and password and if you ignore that it continues to load to the Desktop showing the install icon.
The live medium does not use a name or password - that comes later when you install.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Jarew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jarew »

kyphi

What I mean by log on screen is the one you see after installing mint where it asks for your password. When I boot the live install disk it never shows the live screen that includes the install option,but the log in screen as if Mint is installed. This is documented in the forms and the suggested way to boot to live is user name mint in lower case with no password. Does not work for me. I have tried software option also with same results.

I am going to try the mint xfce iso as I wonder if this is a cinnamon problem. If that does not work I will just stick with cinnamon 19 or remove the 1030 graphics card

Also should include I am using a 4k TV as monitor (TLC 6 series)
Jarew
Level 1
Level 1

It;s Cinnamon

Post by Jarew »

The problem i have been having is cinnamon. Xfce boots to live with install option. I did not install because I prefer cinnamon but might change after studying about xfce HDI support.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Jarew wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 pm Success was on hand as I was able to install mint and all looked good until I shut down and installed my 1030 card.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 (Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards)
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

Return to “Installation & Boot”