Format and partition a new HP 17-by0062cl Laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

Format and partition a new HP 17-by0062cl Laptop

Post by Fairway Fatty »

Hello all - I posted this on the HP.com Community Forum but was suggested to try here.

I just purchased a new HP 17-by0062cl Laptop. I would like to format then partition it and setup to dual boot to Linux Mint and my own copy of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I currently have my desktop PC configured in this manner but it is a home built from components and was not a store bought pre-installed OS PC.
In the past I owned a Toshiba laptop which i successfully partioned and setup a dual boot system but i painfully remember the issues in searching and downloading all of the miscellaneous drivers that Windows (XP at that time) did not have on disk.
So......
Has anyone successfully setup an HP Laptop to dual boot and what issues did you run into?
This new laptop is running UEFI boot. I have exported drivers using dism /online /export-driver /destination

Any Pros or Cons or advice is appreciated. Let me know if additional information is needed.

Thanks! FF
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Format and partition a new HP 17-by0062cl Laptop

Post by JeremyB »

I just did a dual boot on a HP with Win 10. I just used the automatic install alongside windows and it worked fine. I would recommend making an image of your Windows install, full backup and recovery disks before installing Mint in case something does go wrong. You will need to disable hybrid shutdown in Windows 10. After installing Mint you will need to go into BIOS, system config, boot options and change the OS boot from Windows Boot manager to ubuntu- that is what you need to use for the Grub menu to show
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

Thanks JB - I may attempt this weekend. If I do I may have a few more questions!
FF
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

JB - I haven't done my Format/OS installs yet but still plan to when i have time to tinker. In re-reading your post you said you did an automatic install along side of Windows 10. One of my concerns posted was encountering driver issues during a clean dual windows and Mint install. (I had painful issues when I did this with my old Toshiba (new at that time) but that was quite a few years ago with WinXP)).
Did you wipe/format your HD and perform a clean Win 10 install or were you still running the OEM Windows installation on your laptop?
Did you have any issues with drivers (locating them or installing) during/after either the OS installs.
Any features/function issues?
What about UEFI? What BIOS and what year is your HP Laptop?
Thanks FF
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

UEFI is not an issue. I actually cloned the Windows 10 OEM install and then installed Mint 19 alongside on the cloned drive. The only thing is that after install it will boot directly to windows until you get into BIOS, system config, boot options, OS boot manager, scroll to ubuntu and use F5 or F6 to move it to top of the list then press F10 twice, select yes to save. I ordered it from amazon in early December so it isn't very old. Everything worked fine in Mint as the HP has just Intel video and wifi, touchpad and touchscreen work. Secure Boot only needs to be disabled if you have Nvidia graphics or some Broadcom wifi cards

Return to “Installation & Boot”