Login window numlock greyed out

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mvamos
Level 1
Level 1

Login window numlock greyed out

Post by mvamos »

How can I make this setting available to be turned on? Login Window-->Settings, Activate numlock is off and can't be turned on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Login window numlock greyed out

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

cant say for certain that this will work but i know it can do no harm to try this...copy and paste the following code into your terminal provide password when asked...let it complete and then reboot and see if issue is resolved...DAMIEN

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install numlockx

gm10

Post by gm10 »

^ this. I'll point out that the tooltip in the Login Window tool also tells you to install that. Maybe not the most obvious way to communicate this, not everybody pays attention to tooltips.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

kind of a side point but really, shouldnt "numlockx" really be installed by default in LM OSs?...it is in my other distros...DAMIEN
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm kind of a side point but really, shouldnt "numlockx" really be installed by default in LM OSs?...it is in my other distros...DAMIEN
I know, right? There's no good reason not to pre-install it, it's a few KB of scripts, who cares?!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

to be exact...it is only 33.8 KBs of script and is also found in the update manager under the word "numlockx".

ive seen this over the years, over and over again, listed as an issue with LM distro users...maybe gm10, you might be able to "suggest" to Clem and company in future to just write this little 33.8 KB script into the next version, (LM 20.0) or subversion of LM 19.xx maybe 19.2 ?...lol...DAMIEN
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:54 pm ive seen this over the years, over and over again, listed as an issue with LM distro users...maybe gm10, you might be able to "suggest" to Clem and company in future to just write this little 33.8 KB script into the next version, (LM 20.0) or subversion of LM 19.xx maybe 19.2 ?...lol...DAMIEN
I checked and Ubuntu doesn't have it, either, only Xubuntu comes pre-installed with it. Likely nobody ever brought it up before. Anybody can suggest features and changes. Hit Clem up on IRC or even better submit a feature request on github.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

it is inbuilt with peppermint OSs series.

i request that you bring it up with Clem...i have no bearing nor clout such as you.

i am insignificant in the forums or elsewhere...im just plain old damien is all.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Oh come on now. Suggestions are evaluated based on the merits, not who they come from. You don't need an invitation, just walk through the door, simple as that. If you get what I'm saying.

Anyway, here you go, feel free to add to it:
https://github.com/linuxmint/lightdm-settings/issues/32

Return to “Installation & Boot”