Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JasonStonier
Level 2
Level 2

Broken ISO on download page..?

Post by JasonStonier »

Weird one - I downloaded the Mint 19 Mate edition 32bit iso from the download page, burned to a USB stick, booted as normal but it didn't auto-login in to the live session. Tried user 'mint' password blank and it had a second or two of trying to login then looped back to the login prompt.

I downloaded the iso 4 times on four different machines (Linux Mint, Mac, Windows 7, Windows 10) from four different mirrors, and burned using two different ISO burners (unetbootin, rufus) to two different USB sticks.

Same issue each time.

Eventually I downloaded the mint 19 XFCE iso and it worked first time, so I've solved my problem.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Broken ISO on download page..?

Post by Moem »

Is it possible that it got corrupted during downloading? I'd redownload, and check with that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

did you check each ISO had the correct checksum:
https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
select the checksum, for the version(s) that you have downloaded.

ie: you can get some really weird errors, if that checksum is incorrect.
:mrgreen:
been there - done that.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

JasonStonier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JasonStonier »

Didn't verify the checksum, but did download it 4 separate times from 4 separate mirrors :D

Like I say - my problem is solved because I downloaded the XFCE version and installed Mate later...just weird though.

I'll try and do a checksum verification when I get home from work, just for interest sake.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

How did you burn the ISO to Usb stick? Mint 19.1 Mate 64bits worked fine for me, haven't tried 32bits. Your CPU is not 64bits?
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

dcrowder wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm
Your CPU is not 64bits?
My thoughts too. Apart from verifying the .ISO to make sure, it's worth opening a Terminal and posting the output of inxi -Fxz here. Usually, these days, the 64-bit version is the better choice. The inxi output will be a good guide as to whether this is the case for you. (Note: Capital F).

Some software (including Waterfox, for example) is 64-bit only these days. This is becoming the norm for modern OSes.

For writing .ISO images to USB sticks, I usually use dd. I can help with that if you wish to give it a go but beware you need to make sure you're writing to the correct device!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

JasonStonier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JasonStonier »

dcrowder wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm
How did you burn the ISO to Usb stick? Mint 19.1 Mate 64bits worked fine for me, haven't tried 32bits. Your CPU is not 64bits?
ISOs burned 4 times, split between unetbootin (Linux and Mac) and Rufus (Windows 7 and 10). It's a 64bit CPU - I run 64bit mint no problem. I needed a true 32bit environment for something and I never got a chroot working satisfactorily under my 64bit install.

It's all working now on 32bit - I donwloaded the XFCE version 32bit and it worked fine. It's just the Mate 32bit iso that wouldn't start up correctly.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

FWIW, I had no trouble booting that ISO. Something quirky about your system, it would seem.

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic i686 bits: 32 Desktop: MATE 1.20.1  Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L655 v: PSK2CU-03U01U serial: N/A
           Mobo: Intel model: N/A serial: N/A BIOS: INSYDE v: 2.80 date: 07/03/2012
On the mad chance you actually meant the current version (19.1), I tested that too. Booted fine also.

Return to “Installation & Boot”