More compact but full-featured install? (15 GB too much)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
temcat
Level 1
Level 1

More compact but full-featured install? (15 GB too much)

Post by temcat »

Is it possible to install a current Mint release on a 9 GB / partition and still have some reasonable amount of space there left for additional software? If my memory serves me right, that used to be possible before.
Edit: I have a separate /home partition and a swap partition.
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: More compact but full-featured install? (15 GB too much)

Post by Moem »

Short answer: No.
Slightly longer answer: Nooooooo.
More constructive answer: Mint is not the right distro if space is a concern. It's a fully-featured OS. You're better off finding a distro with a smaller footprint; maybe MX Linux will suit your needs?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

Wait, so that 9 GB would be just for /? Still too small, I'd say.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307
Level 11
Level 11

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

in a word...No...28 gb is what i believe is recommended at present at a minimum to have a comfortable amount of room...it all depends on just what is meant by you as,
some reasonable amount of space there left for additional software
...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
temcat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by temcat »

Thanks everybody. Maybe I'll try my luck with Debian netinst as the starting point.
philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux »

You might want to check out antiX. The full install take up something like 3 GB.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

temcat wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:48 pm
Maybe I'll try my luck with Debian netinst as the starting point.
That can be a fun exercise. You will be amazed at how much you have to add to get a functional system, let alone a "full-featured install". But you will be able to install as much, or as little, as you want and customize it to your hearts content.
philotux wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 pm
You might want to check out antiX. The full install take up something like 3 GB.
This is a good option too. Although, a full antiX install has more apps than I would ever use. AntiX Core is probably the way to go if you want to roll your own. It has all the utilities you will need already install and set up, plus the x-server and window manager already configured. Kind of gives you a more complete base to build on than Debian Net-Install (though AntiX is built on Debian).
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

temcat wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 am
Is it possible to install a current Mint release on a 9 GB / partition and still have some reasonable amount of space there left for additional software? If my memory serves me right, that used to be possible before.
Edit: I have a separate /home partition and a swap partition.
My mint installs have been less than 6GB, including wine and /home, but removing libreoffice. (firefox/mozilla and ~/.wine are on another partition, they'd add a few hundred MB). This lubuntu install I'm running from right now takes 4.87 GB.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux »

Neil Edmond wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm
AntiX Core is probably the way to go if you want to roll your own. It has all the utilities you will need already install and set up, plus the x-server and window manager already configured. Kind of gives you a more complete base to build on than Debian Net-Install (though AntiX is built on Debian).
Spot on!
:D
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

philotux wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:55 pm
Neil Edmond wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm
AntiX Core is probably the way to go if you want to roll your own. It has all the utilities you will need already install and set up, plus the x-server and window manager already configured. Kind of gives you a more complete base to build on than Debian Net-Install (though AntiX is built on Debian).
Spot on!
:D
Not quite.
antiX-Core does not come with an x-server and window manager already configured. It is a 'fat' net-install with wifi drivers installed.
Perhaps the poster meant antiX-base?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

anticapitalista wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Yes of course, you are right...it's been many, many moons since my last AntiX install, and I just forgot. I never really found "Core" very useful just for that reason. True, it's a step up from a plain net-install, but still too bare for me. I was, no doub thinking of "Base".
philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux »

anticapitalista wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 am
Not quite.
antiX-Core does not come with an x-server and window manager already configured. It is a 'fat' net-install with wifi drivers installed.
My bad! Thanks for pointing it out!
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

'...possible to install a current Mint release on a 9 GB partition and still have some reasonable amount of space...' Yes. The distribution ISO expands from 2GB to 6GB and in a Live Session is all under the Folder /rofs . You can copy that read-only snapshot into your partition and replace /etc and /home with the Live Session versions.

It's only the installer (ubiquity) that insists on a large OS root space. If you tweak the Ubiquity script you can make it install into less than Ubuntu's suggested minimum.

If you look at 'frugal install' distributions like Knoppix or Puppy, they don't unpack the ISO at all, running like a persistent Live Session as standard.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Return to “Installation & Boot”