[SOLVED] LM 19.1 not offering install alongside Windows 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wiss

[SOLVED] LM 19.1 not offering install alongside Windows 10

Post by Wiss »

Hello, today I wanted to install Linux Mint 19.1 32-bit in my Samsung NP-NF310 Netbook. I have used many previous versions of Linux Mint on it without any problems, including LM 19. I always install it alongside Windows 10. However, today when I wanted to install 19.1, it didn't offer me the option to install it alongside Windows 10, it only offers to remove it.

As I always do, I created a partition to install LM 19.1 from the Windows 10 disk manager. Its size is 39 GB

Any ideas? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM 19.1 not offering install alongside Windows 10

Post by Schultz »

Since you already created a new partition, use the "Something else" option instead of "Install along side of." (But why "Install along side of" isn't showing, I don't have a clue.)
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

Yes, I was thinking about trying that. However it's still strange, because the installer says that it detects Windows 10, but it only offers the option to remove it to install LM 19.1.

Is a problem of my computer that I don't have the option to install LM alongside Windows 10? Or was this feature removed?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can delete the newly created partition for Mint and then try using alongside windows option.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Could it be that Windows is installed Legacy mode and Mint is booted in UEFI or vice versa causing this?
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:46 pm You can delete the newly created partition for Mint and then try using alongside windows option.
I could delete this partition even if it was created in the Windows disk manager?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Gparted handles windows partitions.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Wiss

Post by Wiss »

Thanks. I will try it

Still, normally Linux Mint 19.1 should offer the option to install it alongside Windows 10?
MrEen wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:49 pm Could it be that Windows is installed Legacy mode and Mint is booted in UEFI or vice versa causing this?
Legacy mode was enabled in my BIOS. I tried to disable it, but no success.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

There has to be unallocated space which will be used to install Mint alongside Windows option
Regards,
Deepak

Wiss

Post by Wiss »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:42 am There has to be unallocated space which will be used to install Mint alongside Windows option
Yes, I know that. I have 39 GB of unallocated space as can be seen in this screenshot. I assigned this space from the Windows 10 disk manager. I have done this for many previous versions of Linux Mint without problems

Wiss

Post by Wiss »

Sorry to ask again, but I just want to know, the "install alongside Windows 10 option" was removed in LM 19.1? Or simply I don't see it?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Did you disable the hybrid shutdown in Windows?
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

I will check that as soon as I get home. But just in case, the option of Installing Alongside Windows was removed from Linux Mint?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I doubt it was removed. It might happen if part of the installer doesn't detect Windows and that might occur if Windows is using hybrid shutdown
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

It's weird because the installer says that it detects Windows 10, but it doesn't offer the mentioned option.

I checked that my laptop and it has the Fast Startup option disabled
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I would reboot into Windows and see if it has any issues
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You're in Legacy mode and already have the maximum 4 partitions. That's the issue. I can't help with the solution though.
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

Hi guys. Sorry to bring the topic again, but I think that I have new insight. Today I tried to install Xubuntu 18.10. I tried this system in order to understand if I had the same problem with another variant of Linux. It turns out that I have the exactly same problem. However, I decided to take a look into the "something else" option when choosing how to install it, and I discovered that the partition that I assigned for Linux from the Windows 10 disk manager appears as "unusable" as can be seen in the following screenshot.

Is it the cause of my problem? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!
Wiss

Post by Wiss »

I solved the problem. It turns out that recently Windows 10 created a new recovery partition, which made a total of 4 partitions in my hard drive.

Because of this, I tried to remove the older recovery partition, which was obsolete. After this, the option to install Linux Mint alongside Windows 10 reappeared. I think that the issue was that I couldn't have more than 4 partitions in my hard drive, as was pointed by MrEen.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!
Bobb24
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] LM 19.1 not offering install alongside Windows 10

Post by Bobb24 »

I see this is solved but just want to add that I tried to install Mate 18.3 64bit on a friend's recently purchased Acer laptop . I had given him a live thumb drive but I was walking him through the install over the phone and he also had the same issue . It recognized that he had windows boot manager , but three install options were to erase disc, install Linux encrypted , or something else. I was telling him to look at option 1 , install alongside windows 10 but he was insisting it wasn't listed. I used this same thumb drive to install it on my computer so I didn't believe him at first. This may be his issue also so I will have to go there and have a look. Thanks for providing another angle , maybe nothing to do with secure boot etc...

Return to “Installation & Boot”