Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Unknown boot loop - Get a brief error, then reboots

Post by SweetBearCub » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:48 am

Linux Mint 19.1 x64, Cinnamon.

First, my UEFI settings have not been changed for quite some time, and the system was operating normally.. until today, when I rebooted normally from inside the GUI. Instead of being taken to my disk encryption unlock screen, I got this message on-screen for about half a second, and then the system rebooted, over and over, in a loop.

Despite the appearance of the thumbnail, this is a screenshot of a video I took to catch this, since the message disappears quickly.

I was able to boot into Mint by pressing F12 to access my boot order override, and choosing the first "ubuntu" entry, instead of the first/default "UEFI OS" entry.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unknown boot loop - Get a brief error, then reboots

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

I have seen the same thing! My HDD was failing! I replaced it with a 128 GB SSD ($29 USD). issue went away.
Have seen the same when doing installs when the HDD was just a shade too small.

SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unknown boot loop - Get a brief error, then reboots

Post by SweetBearCub » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:54 pm

How can I test my SSD (main drive, 1 TB, a Samsung 840 EVO from late 2014) to see how it's doing?

The last time I was in Windows and ran the manufacturer-provided Magician software, the drive was fine.

It's also nowhere near full, nor has it ever been (more than half the space is available), so its wear levelling should be doing great.

Return to “Installation & Boot”