Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
urdrwho
Level 3
Level 3

Testing on another partition and boot fix

Post by urdrwho » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 am

Been running a dual boot win / mate 19.1 for a while now. Recently I decided to check out another distro, Manjaro XFCE on separate partition. I decided it wasn't working for me and while in my working Mint I removed the partition and preformed a grub update. Rebooted and no grub, only a different looking singular grub prompt.

This worked for me, it was the fix.

I installed SuperGrub on a flash drive
Booted into SuperGrub
Picked out the partition that had by Mint and booted
While in Mint I reinstalled ALL instances of Grub and then did a grub update.
Rebooted and there is my grub menu

I tried to mirror the same experience by installing a Mint DE version on a separate partition and removing it in the same manner as above. The same thing happened upon reboot and the "fix" worked to restore the grub menu. Is it a EFI thing? I don't know but this is my first computer with UEFI instances and it is the first time I had such a problem with Grub

BTW my experience on Manjaro forum was not as pleasant as it has always been on Mint. All I asked for was some terminal commands to get AUR and some other things. Well you would think they are holding the keys to the kingdom! I received obscure responses, responses saying to search the internet, learn by searching, etc. Well in my experience I learn from being given the command and then I know.....move on.

I've been using Deb commands for years and was unfamiliar with Arch like commands. After asking why such actions to my questions, they started calling me a troll. So aside from a bit of speed which might be attributed to XFCE as the DE , add in the odious forum help, I find the Mint experience to be a keeper for me. Plus the rolling updates may sound good but as a daily machine it could pose a problem. I read about an update that got by the trusted ones and it caused a lot of crashes.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Testing on another partition and boot fix

Post by BG405 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:56 pm

The OS installed latest will always, as far as I know, take control of the bootloader by default. Maybe try installing the other OS without installing the bootloader e.g. with Mint, ubiquity -b from a Terminal to start the installer, then hopefully updating GRUB from your working Mint installation should add the menu entries for the other OS.

Mine finds the bootable stuff on the HDD in the USB docking station, if I forget to disconnect it.

Note: I haven't actually tried this (yet) as my regular-use machines are all single-boot.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Greetings UrDrWho;

It's not an EFI thing. The same thing would happen in BIOS mode. The problem is that everytime you install a new linux distro to another partition on you HDD you install a new boot managager (most likely GRUB2). You override the existing one with a copy from the new distro. There are some distros that will let you refraine from installing a boot manager as part of the install process. In those cases you will need to boot into the distro that did install the boot manager and run "update-grub" or its equivalent from there before you will see the new distro in the boot menu. You can tell which one this is because it defaults to be the first one in the list.

The problem you ran into is you deleted the distro/partition that installed the boot manager. The solution to that is simply to override that one with one from another distro on your HDD that you want to keep. If you want to delete the Manjaro partition and keep Mint just boot into mint and reinstall its boot manager from a terminal like so:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub
Now when you reboot you should see your Mint distro at the top of the boot list and you are safe to delete any of the others further down the list. The boot manager doesn't have to be from Mint. You can keep moving it around to other distros all you want by reinstalling it from there. I have a test machine that typically has 4 or 5 distros on it plus Win7. When I want to test a new distro I just sacrifice one of those partitions for the new one. Just make sure you aren't using its boot manager first.

urdrwho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by urdrwho » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks.

That simple quick terminal command saves me from ticking off each on in the repository and installing. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”