[SOLVED] Recent grub update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yodagirl
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Recent grub update

Post by Yodagirl »

I have a dual boot laptop with Win-10 on one side and Cinnamon 19.1 on the other. It's running great (about 5 weeks now) but my update manager now has (or has had for awhile-I've been trying to ignore dealing with it :>) a "grub2" and a "grub2-signed" update. I'm hesitant for fear of upsetting my applecart-anyone seen any problems related to these updates? I lost my dual boot once and don't want to go through that again! I searched but no results came up. Thanks in advance! Yoda
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Recent grub update

Post by deepakdeshp »

I installed and facing no problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by puddleglum »

I've seen that on my Mint 18.3 and 19, 19.1 systems. It makes me nervous too, so I always take a snapshot with timeshift first. I've never had a problem, though. I also have Win7 and some other Linux distros on those machines and it still finds those as well.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Yodagirl wrote:I lost my dual boot once and don't want to go through that again!
puddleglum wrote:I also have Win7 and some other Linux distros on those machines and it still finds those as well.
What I do is create a complete snapshots of my entire hard drive, inclusive of all separate operating systems that I may have there. This way, if anything ever goes irrecoverably awry (e.g., hard drive failure), I can restore everything back to the time of the previous snapshot.

For this, I use Clonezilla Live for my backups. It creates an image of the entire hard drive, but just the used blocks, so the resulting archive isn't the full size of the drive.

Joe
Yodagirl
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: Recent grub update

Post by Yodagirl »

Thank you all for your posts! Joe Football, I will grab Clonezilla and get a backup done first, then do the update. Appreciate the support on this forum-best I've ever encountered! TB :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”