WHAT FILE HAS THE MINT DEFAULT RUN LEVEL?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluesberryinn

WHAT FILE HAS THE MINT DEFAULT RUN LEVEL?

Post by bluesberryinn »

I need to know how to temporarily change booting from X to run level 3 (CLI), to fix a driver issue.

History: Currently must boot in software rendering mode. Have NVIDIA 610M graphics with Optimus switching to i7 integrated graphics. Driver Manager recommends nvidia-driver-390, but when I install it rebooting gives the Mint black screen of death. Nvidia (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... rtips.html) suggests this may be due to a problem needing a fix in level 3 BUT Mint booting to level X, hence a black screen (please see Booting to a different runlevel in the link above). Nvidia says that most Linux distros have this is the file /etc/inittab. Fair enough, so I went looking for it. Not to be found. Searched web, no dice. So where does Mint hide the default run level?

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: WHAT FILE HAS THE MINT DEFAULT RUN LEVEL?

Post by Flemur »

bluesberryinn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am Fair enough, so I went looking for it. Not to be found. Searched web, no dice. So where does Mint hide the default run level?
Doesn't the grub menu already give you an option for "maintenance mode" or some such language, where you boot into a console w/o X running?

If not....

I make my grub menu by hand, and accomplish the above with:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'LU18 18.04 SDA1  4.15.18-041518-generic SINGLE ' {
  root=(hd0,1)
  linux      /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-041518-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro single
  initrd  /boot/initrd.img-4.15.18-041518-generic
}
Namely, just add 'single' to the end of the 'linux' line and it boots to console (pretty sure that's what nvidia wants) rather than a graphical environment with a desktop.

Edit
rebooting gives the Mint black screen of death.
Can you Ctrl+Shift+Fn to a console? (n=1,2,3...try a few)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Installation & Boot”