update installation hung on grub setup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmelton

update installation hung on grub setup

Post by jmelton »

Hi, I tried to install updates, and things seem to be hung up at "Setting up grub-pc (2.02-2ubuntu8.12)." It seems to have done pretty much everything else, when I scroll through the list of changes. What should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: update installation hung on grub setup

Post by redlined »

jmelton wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 pm Hi, I tried to install updates, and things seem to be hung up at "Setting up grub-pc (2.02-2ubuntu8.12)." It seems to have done pretty much everything else, when I scroll through the list of changes. What should I do?
Were you installing updates via Update manager (UM), synaptic package manager (SPM) or apt in terminal?

if you are looking at scroll in a mini-terminal view from UM or SPM then check and see if the {Close} button is active by clicking it, if it closes normally then I'd say all good.

Otherwise close app and in terminal run apt install -f which should fix any partial installs, broken package, etc. follow that with sudo update-grub to ensure grub got that info it wants to know about for smooth booting ahead.
jmelton

Post by jmelton »

Thanks, I really appreciate the help! Update Manager is what I used, and the "close" button wouldn't work.

But now it's saying "what do you want to do about modified configuration file grub?" The options are "keep the local version currently installed," "install the package maintainer's version," "show the differences between the versions," "show a side by side difference between the versions," "show a 3-way difference between available versions," "do a 3-way merge between available versions," or "start a new shell to examine the situation." It tells me when I click on help that "a new version is available, but the version installed currently has been locally modified." I'm not sure whether "locally modified" refers to the modification made during the original installation, since I dual boot Windows, or to a modification made today, and I'm not sure what was modified if it was today. So, should I just ignore all this, close the app, and issue the commands you gave?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

The best thing to do in this situation is open a terminal and sudo cp -a /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak

Then choose install the package maintainer's version.

If anything happens you have a copy.
redlined

Post by redlined »

jmelton wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:06 pm So, should I just ignore all this, close the app, and issue the commands you gave?
even better, ignore my newbieness and follow WharfRat's advice, that is solid and sound :!:
jmelton

Post by jmelton »

Thank you!
WharfRat wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm The best thing to do in this situation is open a terminal and sudo cp -a /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak

Then choose install the package maintainer's version.

If anything happens you have a copy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”