Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
burobaaje
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Lost ability to boot Mint USB on Mac

Post by burobaaje » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:19 am

I have for months been dual booting MacOS and Mint 19.1. Spending a lot of time on Mint and have it customized with a lot of programming in Java on an external USB SSD. I ditched rEFInd and was holding down the option key to boot, selecting Mac HD to boot MacOS and selecting EFI which would boot into Mint. Occasionally it would hang on boot, but rebooting would solve it but trying to fix that I removed the ubuntu folder from EFI and nothing worked so I put it back as it was and now when I try to boot into Mint the mac reboots over and over. Still can boot into MacOS but not Mint.

How can I reinstall a boot loader for Mint on the external drive? I booted a live USB stick but it won't allow me to mount the Mint system.
Last edited by burobaaje on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

burobaaje
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost ability to boot Mint USB on Mac

Post by burobaaje » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:55 am

Problem solved. Kept reading and found a thread on boot-repair. Made live usb of mint and installed boot-repair and can now boot both Mint and MacOS. Hopefully soon I will ditch MacOS

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:02 am

from memory - you can't completely Ditch, the Mac System,
as it is needed to load the Mac Boot Loader, which in turn loads the Linux Boot Loader.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

burobaaje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burobaaje » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:03 am

The plan is to reformat the drive completely and use the entire drive for Mint. Hope I can install Mint and then use Timeshift to get all my customizing back. I have read where someone did that. If that does not work, I will also have a clonezilla backup ready.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 am

burobaaje wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:19 am
I ditched rEFInd
Why ?
It would solve all your problems. Refind lives independently of the OSes and helps you to boot any external medium.

When you removed EFI/ubuntu/ on the EFI partition, you removed the Linux bootloader (grub). So Linux could not boot afterwards, of course (unless you had refind).

stephanieswitzer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stephanieswitzer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:03 am

burobaaje wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:03 am
The plan is to reformat the drive completely and use the entire drive for Mint. Hope I can install Mint and then use Timeshift to get all my customizing back. I have read where someone did that. If that does not work, I will also have a clonezilla backup ready.
I did this very thing yesterday

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=288141
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB, Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller

burobaaje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burobaaje » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:34 pm

fabien85 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 am
burobaaje wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:19 am
I ditched rEFInd
Why ?
It would solve all your problems. Refind lives independently of the OSes and helps you to boot any external medium.

When you removed EFI/ubuntu/ on the EFI partition, you removed the Linux bootloader (grub). So Linux could not boot afterwards, of course (unless you had refind).
I was using rEFInd but it would hang on reboot into Mint, trying to fix this problem I removed rEFInd and started just holding down the option key which seemed to work, but also occasionally would hang. Bottom line I think I made wrong choices on where bootloader should have been placed during dual boot installation. I now think the failure to boot Mint without hanging has something to do with Apple Cinema Display. If I open Macbook Air during reboot, it does not hang. If I reinstall dual boot system I will pay more attention to where boot loader goes. If working correctly rEFInd is great.

Return to “Installation & Boot”