[SOLVED] Revert fstab without live cd

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Revert fstab without live cd

Post by LivingPharaoh »

Howdy folks,
I ballsed up some support instructions from another thread/issue and now I'm stuck with grub and emergency mode, and pecking at my tiny phone for info.
fstab is corrupt. Thus the boot issue. Live CD takes an hour to boot, then crashes into fallback mode and nothing responds. On top of that, my installation is encrypted so that probably won't even work.

While in emergency mode I have access to command. Seen as I corrupted fstab in terminal, can I fix it there also? The command I was given doesn't apply and gedit gives me:

Code: Select all

Unable to init server: Could not connect: connection refused
(gedit:950): Gtk-WARNING *": 23:49:42:214: cannot open display:
I take it this is because my installation partition isn't mounted at all?

Thanks in advance. None of this is in vain. I locked myself out of my installation 3 times already and it's only been 6 days. I'm learning a lot.

PS: I saw on stack exchange something about adding init=/bin/bash at the end of a kernel something or other and booting, but there's loads of lines on that file and I've no idea where to add it because it's all Greek
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Revert fstab without live cd

Post by WharfRat »

You don't have an X session so use nano /etc/fstab

When done ctl-o to save it and ctl-x to exit.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this might work for you...DAMIEN

at the grub prompt, hit "a" to append options
add init=/bin/bash to the end of the kernel command line and press enter.
The system will boot to a prompt like 'bash-3.2#' enter the following commands at the prompt:

mount -o remount,rw /

vim /etc/fstab

edit the fstab file commenting the errors by adding a # at the beginning of each problematic line, save the file.

reboot by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL

let us know if this works ok.
LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LivingPharaoh »

WharfRat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm You don't have an X session so use nano /etc/fstab

When done ctl-o to save it and ctl-x to exit.
I'm singing your praises this morning. Thank you. Worked a charm. Now I have to go learn what nano is.
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:11 pm this might work for you...DAMIEN
let us know if this works ok.
I cannot attest to whether that worked because I don't know what "the kernal command line" is. That's a big file. A lot going on in there. Does this mean the end of the file or the end of a particular line? Still all new words to me.

Thank you both. Faith strengthened, lessons learned.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

LivingPharaoh wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 am Now I have to go learn what nano is.
Just enter man nano in the terminal :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”