Partition my hardisk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yamanki

Partition my hardisk

Post by yamanki »

Dear all,

I am new to Linux mint. I changed from windows10 to mint today. I erased all the data while installing the mint. So now i have only one partition in my disk. For safe side i want to dedicate one partition to OS (150GB) and other partition to my data(770GB). How to do this. I installed Gparted. I attached the screenshot of disk management here.
Screenshot from 2019-02-18 12-19-02.png
Please help me to do partition.

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Partition my hardisk

Post by kc1di »

First back up any important files or data to an off machine disk or usb stick.
Then go to gparted click on the sda2 partition and then the Partition tab at the top and resize that partition the way you want to give you the free space you need. Then create the new partition. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Given that you have just started, might be easiest to do a fresh install. Select the 'something else' option and tell the installer to create one partition of around 25G and use it for / (the root partition) and then another partition using the rest of the disk and mount/use it as /home. That way you have your data on a separate partition.

BTW you don't need an OS partition (=root=/) of 150G, way too much, linux is not disk hungry like windows.

Follow the advice of the previous post - if you have already put data on the system back it up first!

EDIT - rather than using all of the rest of the disk for /home, you might think about creating a third partition as well and use it for timeshift backups/snapshots. You've got a 1TB disk so should be able make room for this. Leave some space unallocated (how much depends on the amount of data you want to put in /home) if you do a fresh install and follow the advice in the previous post to create another partition once you have mint up and running. If you want further help on how to automatically mount another partition - ask.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can just use that Gparted program, to resize the existing SDa2 Right-side:
- back to the left side somewhat - depending on just how much space, you need for your New Partition.
then use Gparted, again, to Create an New Partition, in that Now Vacant Space.

like AndyMH said, you could have an separate /home & /data partition(s),, since you've got an 1Tb drive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
yamanki

Post by yamanki »

Thanks you all for your answers.

Here is my other problem, when i try to do the instructions which you have given using gparted( going to partition tab) , It is showing the maximum and minimum size of partition is same i.e.931gb. Hence i cant partition the disk. And what is preceeding and follwing free space?
I am attaching the screenshot here. Please help
Thanks in advance.
Screenshot from 2019-02-21 22-51-48.png
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You can't change the size of a partition while it is mounted, i.e. a live filesystem. Boot from your installation DVD/USB stick and do it from there.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”