invalid partition table

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicograve

invalid partition table

Post by nicograve »

hi everyone, i found some similar issues, but not the same

so, that's my problem.
I used gparted on my laptop on linux mint to delete my windows partition, as I decided to use only linux mint so I would have resize the partition eating the windows one.
So... I deleted the windows partition and tryed to resize the linux' one, but it didnt work, I formatted the empty space as ext4 and still didn't work the resize.

i rebooted my laptop and it didn't boot, showing this error messange "invalid partition table".
I've deleted only and every partition like ntfs and saved only linux' ones...

what should i do to save my linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: invalid partition table

Post by kyphi »

You cannot make those adjustments while your drive is mounted. You will have to run a live copy of Linux Mint and use the included gparted program to adjust partition sizes.
After that you may have to run the command sudo update-grub

If all else fails, you will have to re-install using the whole disk. You have made a backup copy of your home directory, I hope.
Using the live copy you will be able to read what is installed on the remaining partitions and perhaps recover some files.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
nicograve

Re: invalid partition table

Post by nicograve »

In the end I installed a new Linux Mint as second boot to let the old to boot again, so I backupped then formatted everything to make a single boot working...

Return to “Installation & Boot”