[Solved] Problem on startup screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dave2

[Solved] Problem on startup screen

Post by dave2 »

I used a windows 10 operating system to download a Linux mint Tessa 19.1 32 bit iso from a trusted Linux affiliate site. I verified the sha256 sum and it is good. I used the balena etcher program to download it to a usb flash drive/stick, and It verified the download. I restarted windows 10 to boot from the usb stick. It boots into the Linux mint startup screen. It says automatic boot in 5,4,3,2,1 seconds. But then the screen turns into a bunch of lines and it is not readable. I have pictures of the screen and error codes, but I might have to download them to another site to post them here. These are the error codes that I am getting on the error screen.

0.000000] do_IRQ. 0.55 No irq handler for vector
9.48667] ACPI Exception Could not find/resolve named .CPUO (20170831/dspkginit-381)
0.061283] ACPI Error: Field [ASSM] at bit offset/length
Size of target Buffer (880 bits) (20170831/dsopcode-235)
0.0613491 ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed\_SB
BUFFER_LIMIT (20170831/psparse-550)
[ 0.61411] ACPI Error: Method execution failed \_SB.MEM._
LIMIT (20170831/uteval-103)
[ 0.89931] ACPI Error: Field [ASSM] at bit offset/length S
Size of target buffer (880 bits) (20170831/dsopcode-235)
[ 0.89998] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.M
BUFFER_LIMIT (20170831/psparse-550)
[ 0.090059] ACPI Error: Method execution failed \_SB.MEM._CRS
LIMIT (20170831/uteval-103)
[ 0.090118] pnp 00:06: can't evaluate _CRS: 12298

Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem on startup screen

Post by thx-1138 »

...try compatibility mode for starters, tell us how it goes:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... tions.html

A description / link to your model & system characteristics would be helpful as well...
dave2

Post by dave2 »

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it. At the time that I purchased this computer I wanted to buy a Dell computer, but the store had this HP Pavilion a6650f for sale. So I bought it. These are the specifications: AMD Phenom Processor quad core 2.2 ghz. 6 gb ddr2 memory.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01530039
The operating system is windows 10 professional 32 bit.
dave2

Post by dave2 »

I do not get the option screen to select compatibility mode. after the mint screen counts down from 8 to 1, I get the 2 error screens. then the screen turns blurry and unreadable, but the cursor/arrow pointer that is connected to the computer mouse works well. it will stay like that until I remove the usb stick and press the power button on the computer. and then the mint desktop screen appears, but it is blinking on and off quickly. the start button is on the bottom left side and there are shortcuts for Tessa 19.1 32 bit and install Tessa 19.1. It also gives me the option box that gives me the opportunity to restart, cancel or shutdown the computer.
Last edited by dave2 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...ok, first things first.

The majority of errors that you see come from a broken ACPI / BIOS implementation.
'Compatibility mode' will attempt to work around most of them...
and if not, we could possibly try a few more parameters and maybe get around such.
You also have an NVidia card there, so you'd need to install the driver as well.
Interestingly enough, i can't even find any BIOS updates listed in HP for this 2008 machine,
and googling for such only leads me to quite older threads,
with people toying around with custom-made bios mods for M2N68-LA (Narra3)...

...my very quick'n'dirty reply would be to try older Mint 18.0 first instead, maybe 18.3.

But i'm utterly confused with what you say above.
Does this machine come with Secure Boot? If yes, disable it first on your BIOS...
On / power off / remove stick(?) / (how) does it eventually get to the desktop or not?
You say yes, so what's the issue then? What happens if you re-plug the stick after reaching the desktop?

I mean, the only explanation that comes to mind with the above description / behavior so far (& error messages),
is either that the BIOS is broken beyond repair...or that it's simply too old for Mint 19.x.
Theoritically, your best bet for this machine is to select 'Compatibility mode' after plugging the stick.
If such doesn't even appear in the first place(?)...
dave2

Post by dave2 »

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it. I will check to see if this machine bios comes with secure boot and I will disable it as soon as I possibly can. Yes, after I unplug the stick and press the power button on the computer (to turn it off) it goes to the Tessa 19.1 desktop. But the screen blinks on and off fast and If I click the start button with the cursor (on the Tessa desktop) or one of the shortcuts on the tessa desktop nothing happens. The Tessa 19.1 desktop gives me a dialogue box that says the computer will shutdown in 60 seconds and it counts down from 60 to zero. It gives me the option to shutdown, restart or cancel. And when I re-plug in the stick I get the lines again on the screen.
Last edited by dave2 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
dave2

Post by dave2 »

When I first plug in the usb stick and restart the computer, to boot from the usb stick, to try to go to the Tessa desktop screen, the compatibility mode box/option does not appear. I cannot get the compatibility mode box to appear with 19.1 Tessa on this computer. I had a usb stick with either mint 18.2 sonya, or mint 18.3 Sylvia downloaded on it and it booted up into the mint desktop on this computer. And the option for compatibility mode appeared on boot up. But I erased the iso file to download the mint 19.1 Tessa iso file. I will try to download it again as soon as possible to see if it works on this computer.
dave2

Post by dave2 »

I tried to boot the mint 18.2 sonya mate 32 bit iso from a usb stick and it works good. The compatibility mode option box appears on the boot up screen, and then I am able to go to the 18.2 sonya desktop screen and it works good.
I tried the mint tara 19.0 mate 32 bit iso on this computer, and I am getting the same lines on the screen as I did with the 19.1 Tessa mate 32bit iso. I do not get the option box to boot into compatibility mode with the tara 19.0 iso, it is the same as the Tessa 19.1 iso.
dave2

Post by dave2 »

I might try the 18.3 Sylvia mate 32 bit iso next to see if it works on this computer.
I would put the word solved in the header title of this thread, but I still have not tried to disable secure boot in the bios yet. After I find out more information about disabling secure boot in the bios, I will try to see if the Tessa 19.1 boots up on this computer.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i don't know if Secure Boot is available for your Vista-era model, you'll have to check your bios for such an option.
If it is there, you'll quite likely need to disable it in order to install the proprietary Nvidia driver after a successful Mint installation.
Both 19 & 19.1 come with kernel 4.15.x - 18.2 came with 4.8.x, 18.3 with kernel 4.10.x if i remember correctly.
Newer kernels might or might not behave properly with older hardware, newer isn't always for the better,
so you most likely found the culprit here. 18.x is still supported for 2 yrs...
dave2

Post by dave2 »

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it. I just checked the entire bios on this computer and I cannot find secure boot listed there. Maybe it is listed under another name or title? I will try to find out more about it when I have the spare time.

Return to “Installation & Boot”