Mint not loading in dual-boot with legacy Windows 10 [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BumblingBotanist

Mint not loading in dual-boot with legacy Windows 10 [Solved]

Post by BumblingBotanist »

I am reinstalling Linux Mint 18.1 on my desktop in order to dual-boot, after having previously overwritten it with Windows 10.

Installation from the disk was apparently successful, however Windows is loaded automatically and the firmware does not show different operating systems available. The Linux ex4 and swap partitions are visible from my partition manager, so I know that Mint is on the drive.

My mobo is an ASUS B150M-A set to boot in BIOS mode, this should disable secure boot automatically (this model won't otherwise let you disable it manually).

Given that I was successfully running Mint 18.1 on this computer a year ago I presume the difference is Windows 10. I have attempted to disable quick start/hibernation via the command line, although I cannot see any difference to confirm if I was successful.

Both Windows and Mint are installed in BIOS/legacy mode and the solutions I have found apply only to UEFI installations. If this is a GRUB issue, how can I resolve it for a legacy structure?

Any help is appreciated, looking forward to using a good OS again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint not loading in dual-boot with legacy Windows 10

Post by deepakdeshp »

While booting press either left, right shift or ESC or space key to get to the grub prompt.
Use bootrepair and see if you get grub.
https://www.google.com/search?q=boot+re ... e&ie=UTF-8
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
BumblingBotanist

Re: Mint not loading in dual-boot with legacy Windows 10

Post by BumblingBotanist »

Thanks for the link! I was able to figure out how to install GRUB from the live CD via the command prompt. I had to end up using a weird hybrid of the console commands given for UEFI and MBR systems, presumably due to compatibility mode shenanigans. :mrgreen:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint not loading in dual-boot with legacy Windows 10 [Solved]

Post by deepakdeshp »

Good that you were able to solve it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Installation & Boot”