[solved] how to make linux grub menu the main boot manger if it is not even noted by windows boot manger

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DEFN9

[solved] how to make linux grub menu the main boot manger if it is not even noted by windows boot manger

Post by DEFN9 »

how to make Linux grub menu the main boot instead of Windows boot manger manger in this case ..
-
i have Linux mint and Windows 10 , after i installed Linux mint i was unable to add it to the grub menu , so i used a tool called grub2win , then from it i can access to Linux indirect way .
-
but for now i want to make Linux mint as the main boot manger for reasons one of them i want not to make Linux mint Depends on Windows so how to change that safely because i do not want to lose Windows with its customization and data that is important for me.. and in this case i am using grub2win so Linux mint is not noted directly with the Windows boot manger .. so how to do that ?
-
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: how to make linux grub menu the main boot manger if it is not even noted by windows boot manger

Post by JeremyB »

What computer is this?
DEFN9

Re: how to make linux grub menu the main boot manger if it is not even noted by windows boot manger

Post by DEFN9 »

-
*not sufficiently effective information i deleted it for privacy*
Last edited by DEFN9 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

Wrong answer.

In a terminal
inxi -Fzzz

will give better information.

When you have installed windows in coimpatibility mode you have to install linux in compatibility mode too.
When you have installed windows in UEFI mode you have to install lkinux in UEFI mode too.
Anything else makes it complicate to change the OS!

When you have installed both in UEFI you can easy switch the OS by selectiong the OS in UEFI boot.
With UEFI you would install refind from launchpad to get up your installed linux when widows has destroyed your linux.

Anyway when you booted in your installed linux you can install grub in a terminal:
sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

this will install both grub and lets grub boot linux and as alternative OS windows too. This gives you the choice during the default boot to decide what to boot - but only when you have installed both in either compatibility or UEWFI mode. This can't work whenm both OSes are installed in different mode.

The way the installation medium is booted defines the way the mode the installed system will boot up. It doesn't matter which OS you will install. The way the installer gets booted defines the way the installed systerm boots. Be carefully by boot up the installation medium. In BIOS you can select compatible and UEFI - where UEFI will boot UEFI and NON UEFI compatible.
DEFN9

Post by DEFN9 »

this post was edited due to new update ..
-
so what is important after the editing is :
i used this code sudo grub-install but the result is " Installing for i386-pc platform.grub-install: error: install device isn't specified."
so any way i searched the web and used that code
-
sudo grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
-
and it worked , so i think [solved]
-
thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”