[SOLVED] Black Screen after installing LM 19.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kuzman1

[SOLVED] Black Screen after installing LM 19.1

Post by kuzman1 »

I tried to install LM Cinnamon 18.3 and since I have NVIDIA card, I used the 'nomodeset' option to install 18.3, everything went fine until it asked me to restart and I clicked 'restart', removed the live USB and it froze. I pushed the switch button and I get the LM logo, type the password and I get the black screen, the only thing showing is the cursor.
I tried installing LM Cinnamon 19.1, again the nomodeset option, install was fine until I restart (I noted a red word and next to it failed) and I get the same black screen again.
Can someone please guide me what to do?
Thanks
Last edited by SMG on Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
kuzman1

Re: Black Screen after installing LM 19.1

Post by kuzman1 »

I forgot to mention that I originally had 18.3 installed on the same laptop. I did not experience this black screen of death before. Why I reinstalled 18.3? I had problems connecting to the internet and could only connect via VPN. It was fine until I could not connect at all (with or without the VPN).
I tried to fresh install 18.3 and got this black screen. The same occurred with 19.1
Please help.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

kuzman1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:19 am ... I have NVIDIA card, I used the 'nomodeset' option ...
Hi,
I have a NVIDIA (GTX 750), too, and I’ve started 19.1 from USB and installed from there without any (knowledge of) nomodset option, simply clicking the desktop icon.
Later, when using the Update Manager, I got the hint to switch to the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I did, everything was fine.
Just for fun (and other reasons) I did that several times, no prob.

Does the Mint Live boot successfully? That would mean no probs with your NVIDIA card?
kuzman1

Post by kuzman1 »

Thanks sanmig
Does the Mint Live boot successfully
I can boot using the live USB.

If I boot without the live USB I get the black screen of death.

I reinstalled again without selecting to ‘install third party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, flash, MP3 and other media’( one of the first steps of the installation) and still get the black screen again when I boot.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...kuzman1 => https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... tions.html
Repeat this operation post-install in your grub boot menu...
(and/or)
After the installation, use Advanced Options ‣ Recovery mode from the boot menu and choose resume.
Then, Driver Manager etc...
kuzman1

Post by kuzman1 »

Thanks THX.

Just before I read your post, I tried to reinstall 19.1 again. I didn’t do anything different (I thought) except that I clicked ‘check the integrity of this medium’. Again at the last step when it asks to restart the laptop, I clicked on restart and it froze again. Removed the USB and pressed the switch button to shut it down. Put the USB, pressed the switch button again (BIOS reverts back to boot from the hard drive), got the logo, entered my password then for few seconds the black screen but suddenly the black screen disappeared and got in 19.1!

Don’t know what happened this time, but I’m in. Created a snapshot using Timeshift, updated NVIDIA driver ( not the Xserver-nouveau), updated the software and it is all good now
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”