Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dhenzler
Level 2
Level 2

Partitions & Sizes

Post by dhenzler »

I am playing with setup of SSD & Spinning disk for my desktops. Using 120G SSD and 1T hard drive. I've set up the various partitions a few times, and have yet to determine the space needs. The drives are larger than needed so it probably doesn't matter except to learn what is required. sda is SSD
Screenshot from 2019-02-24 12-13-33.png
This is what I have currently... remembering my roots in Unix... multiple drives were used back in the day as large drives were not available...

Anyone have some experience with what is needed...

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Partitions & Sizes

Post by AndyMH »

There is very little point in putting /opt, /temp, /usr and /usr/local and /var in separate partitions. At 29G your /partition is more than big enough for all of these. If running LM19 you don't need a swap partition it will use a swap file if no swap partition. I would keep separate / and /home partitions but I'd put /home on the ssd and mount your 1TB HDD as something like /home/me/data.

What are you doing for backup, I ask because I've got an ssd in my laptop and 1 TB HDD. The HDD is used purely for backup?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

pioruns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pioruns »

Yes, I agree with AndyMH, you don't need separate partitions for all these folders. Put everything on SSD, except for swap file, and /var/log (put that in RAM).
You can always add them later. If you feel that you will run out of space in /home when using SSD, create /home on HDD now. That's it.
System: LMDE AMD64
Hardware: HP ProBook 4545s
AMD A8-4500M APU, 8GB RAM
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

I'd have to agree with the others.

Too many partitions to worry about. No need. Keep your disk simple.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Installation & Boot”