Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

can I make live USB partition?

Post by bad medicine »

I dont want to buy a new USB just to try Mint 19. If I try to make a live USB that has plenty of space for it, it tells me all data will be destroyed. Can I make a partition on the USB to solve this or will the partition be destroyed too?
Thinkpad T430 Mint 19.1

arvy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: can I make live USB partition?

Post by arvy »

There are many tools for creating bootable USB drives, but many of them simply burn a single ISO file which overwrites whatever is already present on that destination drive. You want to choose one that will let you boot the LM "live" ISO along with other multi-boot options on the same USB drive. This MUO article provides some good information about possible choices. FWIW, my own personal preference is using the Grub4Dos boot loader which can boot/chainload almost anything including direct booting of ISO files without needing to extract and burn them.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

After you have tried Mint (and optionally installed it), you can reformat the USB to be used as storage.
So an easy thing is to backup the data on the USB stick, then burn the Mint ISO, try it etc, then reformat and put back the data there.

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I splurged and spent the 15 bucks for a 64 GB flash drive. If I dont need the space today, I will one of these tomorrows.
Thinkpad T430 Mint 19.1

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bad medicine wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:24 am
I dont want to buy a new USB just to try Mint 19. If I try to make a live USB that has plenty of space for it, it tells me all data will be destroyed. Can I make a partition on the USB to solve this or will the partition be destroyed too?
I've read your later post, but to answer your question directly, yes, you can create a partition on a flash drive. The problem is, it likely won't boot because the partition won't be found. Your solution of purchasing a flash drive for the test is the right solution.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Not sure if I am answering the OP's question properly or not, but I typically create 4 partitions on my USB thumbdrives:

- BIOS boot partition
- EFI boot partition
- ISO partition
- LINUX or DATA partition

I use GRUB2's ability to directly boot ISO files to populate one or more ISOs into the 'ISO' partition e.g. Live Mint distro. I sometimes also populate the 'LINUX' partition with a fully-installed (not 'live' version of Linux Mint) -- which I can back-link to the 'ISO' partition so that I then have the choice of booting 'installed' or 'live/ISO' versions of Linux Mint.

I think many of the 'multiboot' apps can do stuff similar to this, but I use a series of CLI commands to set this up.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Installation & Boot”