Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cyclonesrule
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 dual boot issues <SOLVED>

Post by cyclonesrule »

HI,

I was able to install Linux Mint onto a ACER computer but it keeps booting into Windows 10 instead of giving me the option of booting into Mint. I checked the BIOS and it's set as a UEFI. The version of Linux is a 64 bit version called Tessa.

Background:

This is my mom's computer and while she was surfing the internet, she saw a message on her monitor to call a number because it said her computer was compromised. She called and then allowed the person on the other end to remote in and they did something because now I can't access any of the defender firewall settings or connect to the internet. So, instead of trying to fix this, I just installed Mint along side Windows and I thought that would take care of the issue (at her request...she now doesn't trust Windows). Mint installed just fine but I can't boot into the mint portion because it goes straight into Windows.

Any help is appreciated. I don't know what information to give you so if you need anything, let me know.

Thank you,
Last edited by cyclonesrule on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Windows 10 dual boot issues

Post by AndyMH »

I would treat that installation of windows as totally compromised and would not use it at all. Either wipe the drive and reinstall windows or install mint or both.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
cyclonesrule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyclonesrule »

When you say wipe the drive, are you just talking about putting the live CD in and then choosing the option to use the entire drive for Mint?

Thank you,
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

YES - that is what is being meant - - boot an Live Media,
& then use that to erase the entire HDD, & then start again.

- create 1 -2 partitions for each Operating System
then install Windows onto the first partition(s) & then install Linux onto the other partition(s).

NB: you should also be able to install the LinuxMint system along side of the existing win-10 system, though.
- although this option is the trickiest to achieve.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cyclonesrule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyclonesrule »

Before i go that route and re-install both OSes, I was poking around on the live CD and noticed something different in Gparted and also in the efibootmgr. I have two pictures below (sorry for the poor quality, I couldn't transfer the screenshot because nemo kept saying my USB was read only).

The first one, it does show Ubuntu as one of the boot orders but there's no asterisk next to it. I tried activating the 0002 but kept stating something was malformed?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lFVYE ... 7D2PVoUudB

In Gparted, It shows the ext4 partition but no flags and doesn't have any name for the partition.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lMeUG ... v2Xmb9HJ5H

I was wondering, if I put some sort of flag (not sure which one) and renamed it to something like "Ubuntu" or "Mint", would that help at all? If so, would I be able to activate that particular partition then?

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, let me know.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Take a look at your second photo. Everything is fine there. When you reinstall Windows, SDA1, 2, 3, and 4 will be used. Do NOT let Windows take the entire drive! You will be installing Windows to SDA3. It should be called the C: drive in Windows. Make sure to format the C: drive so you wipe out everything on it and then reinstall Windows. That must happen first.

After Windows is installed, boot to the Mint LiveUSB. Open Gparted and remove the SDA4 partition. I'm assuming Windows has NOT been installed to that. Replace it with 3 new partitions, one that is Root/Boot (that is, it will be named Root and that will also be your Mint boot partition), one named /Home, and the third named Swap. Since you have 456GB of space on SDA4 there is plenty for a great install of Mint. If you have 8GB or less of RAM, your Swap should be 8GB. If you have more than 8GB, set your Swap to how much RAM you have. Set your partitions like this: Root 50GB, /Home is remainder less swap, then Swap. So assuming you have 8GB of RAM:

Root - 50GB - EXT4
/Home - 398GB - EXT4
Swap - 8GB - Swap

Trust me, you WANT to do this. In case you have to reinstall Mint or want to upgrade, you just install Mint but format ONLY the Root partition. While you should still backup regularly, your Home partition with your data will be safe. Windows can make no such claim.

After the partitioning is done, install Mint. During the screen where you choose what you want to do, choose "Something Else." You will be taken to a screen to choose where you install Mint. That will be on the Root partition. When you tell the installer to use the /Home partition and name it Home, Linux will setup all of your user accounts (along with the files) to that partition. Swap is just swap.

The trick is to remember that at the bottom of this screen you will be prompted as to where you want GRUB installed. Choose SDA1 because that is your EFI partition. If you don't do this, Windows may boot but Mint will not. By default, Mint will be the primary boot operating system. You can search this forum on how to change that to Windows, if that's what you want.

And this should be a lesson to your Mother; NEVER accept a notice from ANYWHERE that says your computer is compromised. If that is seen again, just close the browser and start again. (She should be using Firefox or maybe Chrome in Windows, never Internet Explorer or Edge.) I also suggest one of the free Anti-Virus programs for Windows; try either Avast! or AVG. They're good. Windows will need them; Mint will not.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

The only thing I would add is that you don't need a / partition of 50G - too big and potentially wasting space. I have a 50G / partition, a lot of stuff installed and only use 17G. Can't be bothered to change it, but from a fresh install I would make it 30G. You also don't need a swap partition in LM19. If there isn't one it will use a swap file instead.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

@ cyclonesrule

My HP laptop does the same, but that is normal procedure for HP.
You will have to interrupt the boot process by pressing a key like the Esc key.
After that you'll have to press a certain key to enter the Boot Device Option.
Then you might be able to select Mint (which is called 'Ubuntu')...

Hendrick
Mint 19.3 Xfce
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Why would you reinstall Windows, when your mom says she doesn't trust it anymore? Can she switch full-time to Mint?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cyclonesrule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyclonesrule »

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going over to my mom's house tonight and give her one of my computers and I'll see if she really wants windows installed on it. If not, that would make my life a little easier. :)

I have additional questions but I'm going to wait till I hear from her so I know what direction to go.

I'll post back tonight after I get done talking to her.

Thank you.
cyclonesrule
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Windows 10 dual boot issues SOLVED

Post by cyclonesrule »

Talked with my mom and she said to just get rid of Windows. So, I went ahead and re-did the install and it booted right into Mint with no problems. I'm upgrading it and configuring the OS to her liking as I type this. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows 10 dual boot issues <SOLVED>

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

We have a WINNER!!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”