linux mint 19 won't install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sjr2

linux mint 19 won't install

Post by sjr2 »

Hi, I'm trying to install linux mint 19 from the installation cd bought from the website - on a laptop Dell Latitude E6400. The edition of mint I'm trying to install is 64 bit 19.1 cinnamon. I currently have edition 16 Quiana Cinnamon 32 bit installed.
Booting from the cd drive, the "trial desktop" loads no problem, but when I click on the CD icon to install the new OS nothing happens.
Sorry, it's a really basic enquiry, I have very little idea about any of this. Any help would be really great. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: linux mint 19 won't install

Post by sleeper12 »

If your laptop is 32 bit, a 64 bit Mint won't work for you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

But if the laptop were 32-bits, a 64-bits OS would not even run from a live medium.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Moem wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm But if the laptop were 32-bits, a 64-bits OS would not even run from a live medium.
Right, I thought of that after I posted. :oops:
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Are you connected to the internet & double clicking the Install icon? Just trying to guess since not much to go on. If still not working, maybe you got a bad cd. Can you try it on a different computer?
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Did you check the sha256sum as recommended on the Linuxmint download page? It's possible that the download went badly, or even the burn.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Moem wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm But if the laptop were 32-bits, a 64-bits OS would not even run from a live medium.
but i have done it :shock:
i ran a live medium 64 bit linux mint 19.1 xfce on a very old pc which uses 32 bit processor and it worked fine. but i have not installed it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

aditya02 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pmi ran a live medium 64 bit linux mint 19.1 xfce on a very old pc which uses 32 bit processor and it worked fine. but i have not installed it.
No, you have not. Either part of your sentence is incorrect:
Either the live medium was 32-bit, not 64-bit. Then it would have started on a 32-bit only CPU.
Or - more likely - you ran the 64-bit live system. But you only think the CPU were 32-bit, instead it is 64-bit. Only you never knew. In this case the 64-bit live system would have started on your old (64-bit) CPU.

You might provide the precise type of the CPU, producer, model, type number. Might help clear up the mystery.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
sjr2

Post by sjr2 »

Thanks very much for your comments and I apologise for knowing so little! I burned a 32 bit disc myself from the linux mint web and it didn't work. I was connected to internet and double clicked on the CD icon once it appeared, but it didn't respond. I then burned a 64 bit cd and the same thing happened. So I bought one, which is 64 bit and it doesn't work. So, all three discs (32 bit and 64 bit I burned, and 64 bit from the Linux store) do the same thing - the instalation goes fine up to the appearance of the trial desktop. But then when I click on the cd icon, nothing happens.
sjr2

Post by sjr2 »

Sorry, the computer is a laptop - Dell Lattitude E6400. The CPU is Core2Duo 2500 mhz (Intel Centrino 2), processor number P8700

Don't know if that helps...

Thanks again!
sjr2

Post by sjr2 »

As far as I can tell from internet research, the processor is 64 bit. Which means I have a 32 bit OS installed on a 64 bit processor. Don't know if that's a problem.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sjr2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:16 pm I have a 32 bit OS installed on a 64 bit processor. Don't know if that's a problem.
It's not, except that there is less and less software available in a 32-bits version.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Open a terminal (Alt+Ctrl+T) try ubiquity (don't know if sudo -H ubiquity) Post back results if something goes wrong. Look here if you don't know how.

No doubts about it is 64 bits (specifications Latitude E6400 said it is Intel core 2 duo). Maybe you need to upgrade BIOS to solve some problems (graphics??).
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

I would definitely upgrade the bios if a new one ins available. In the past I have solved problems such as yours by using DBAN, or such like, to wipe the hard drive before I install a new O/S. Note: One pass with DBAN is enough, more passes takes hours. Using this procedure seems to easily solve hidden problems which are hard to find.
Good Luck
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

karlchen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:34 am
aditya02 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 pmi ran a live medium 64 bit linux mint 19.1 xfce on a very old pc which uses 32 bit processor and it worked fine. but i have not installed it.
No, you have not. Either part of your sentence is incorrect:
Either the live medium was 32-bit, not 64-bit. Then it would have started on a 32-bit only CPU.
Or - more likely - you ran the 64-bit live system. But you only think the CPU were 32-bit, instead it is 64-bit. Only you never knew. In this case the 64-bit live system would have started on your old (64-bit) CPU.

You might provide the precise type of the CPU, producer, model, type number. Might help clear up the mystery.
yes, maybe i am wrong. the system i was running was the system of my friend which is running windows 7 32 bit os. maybe the processor is a 64bit processor. but i am sure that the iso image is a 64 bit as i also tested it on my own pc which has 64 bit processor.

Return to “Installation & Boot”